Pre-war Model B case identity

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

gkyhn

Pre-war Model B case identity

Post by gkyhn »

This is my first post and the small amount of knowledge I have on this subject has been gleened from internet searches over the past few days. I have purchased a Model B from the local pawnshop. It is in excellent condition. Tuners and knob have been changed with no alterations, originals are in the case. (octagonal knob) Everything appears to be all original for a 1935-36. The case is a bit beat and missing the handle. I think the case is from a later model. The Rickenbacker name on the sash inside the case is spelled with a k. The guitar is secure in the case and fits well but there is a little extra length to the case where the headstock is. The case has a hang tag in it that refers to a Spanish Model B. Is this a case and hangtag from a later year? Is the case and hangtag for a Spanish model, or might this be the hang tag for this guitar? Will I be able to get an exact date for this guitar with more info? Here are some pics.
hangtag
hangtag
geetar
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Definitely a 1935-37 Model B steel guitar (not the Spanish Model B). The Rickenbacker spelling indicates the case is postwar. The Model B Spanish was not produced after WW2. The tag is very interesting and might be worth some money to a collector.
You have a really great steel. It is very sought after by collectors and players.
How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind telling us?
gkyhn

Post by gkyhn »

I payed $600 plus I kicked down the guy at the pawnshop $50. The guitar was pawned for 1 day. The pawnshop owner brokered the deal for me and he wasn't getting anything other than the fee for a 1 day loan of $150. A lot of interesting stuff goes through there and I want to stay in his good graces. I've opened it up and unfortunately it looks like the pot has been changed. As a matter of fact it doesn't look like a pot. It looks like a speaker L-pad. There is no capacitor. Anyone have pictures of how this should look inside?
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Gary,
You really got a sweet deal. Have you played your B6? Does the volume control work? How does it sound?
If it sounds good, I wouldn't worry about the pot or capacitor. Some prewar pots were strange looking. As far as the capacitor goes, some people think the sound is better without one.
I'll open mine and post a photo, when I get around to it.
gkyhn

Post by gkyhn »

I've been playing it a little. Trying to learn. The tone is incredible. The control works fine. It's pretty amazing what goes through our pawnshop for a little town of 25,000. About a year ago I picked up a Fender 1951 dual Pro 8, complete with case and legs for $450. I passed that on to my brother and he's sounding pretty good on it.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

If it ain't broke.
Don't fix it.
john_dahms

Post by john_dahms »

Gary, Don't worry about the capacitor. It's a tone cap and there is no tone control. All you have is 1 pot that bleeds some signal off to ground to lower the volume. Straight ahead and simple.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”