Prewar Vs Postwar B6

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

kelvin

Prewar Vs Postwar B6

Post by kelvin »

Having just turned over a Postwar T logo B6 for a Prewar or Wartime B6 I had some interesting observations.The Prewar body has a high jet black gloss with the top edge bevelled that looks hand finished.The white plates appear enamelled and made from heavy duty metal.The 1 1/2" horseshoe comes in at1.77k.
The T logo has a flatter black finish and a grainier look to the bakelite,not quite as black.The top edge is not rounded at all.The white plates appear to be painted on rather than enamelled and the plates themselves are a much thinner metal almost a tin.The 1 1/4" horseshoe comes in at 1.9k.Played accoustically the T logo is very alive and stringy whereas the Prewar is very woody almost like comparing a Strat to a Les Paul.Plugging in the T logo is very Vibrant with quite a harsh strident top end.The Pre War has loads of bottom and although bright has a nice mid range,although the T logo has more output.Sustain is about the same however the Prewar Blooms after the initial attack,maybe this is the Moan people talk about.I am sure most of the tonal difference is due to the string thru body rather than the pickup size and possibly the bakelite formula, which definately looks different.These are just my unscientific observation that may be of interest. Cheers Kelvin
john_dahms

Post by john_dahms »

I have several B6's from various periods and while they are are strongly related in a blind test I think I would pick the Pre or wartime B6 w/ white plates as the "best" sounding. The '35 plated plates are a little finicky (no tone control), and it seems the first thing I do when playing a postwar is roll back the treble control a little to fatten it up. Any model is still my 1st choice over other brands in most cases.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”