Model B problem

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bluebird

Model B problem

Post by bluebird »

I got a Model B metal plate from about 1937. I think it has a poor connection because after a little use it cuts out. It can be made to work by resting the right hand on the pick-up or by wedging a little something in the gap on the treble side of the pick-up. I imagine that it's fairly simple to open one of these up and check the connections but I've never done it before so any advice from experienced owners would be very welcome.
Thanks,
Bluebird
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to TheRickenbacker Forum Martin. From your description there could be a number of possibilities, however, it sounds to me as if there is a poor solder connection at the pickup rather than a winding problem. You need to take it apart and inspect the connections to the pickup. One of these should be obviously deteriorated. Also, have a close look at the outside of the windings to see if they have been damaged.

BTW, it would be very nice to have some detailed photos of this instrument and of the pickup once you removed it. Also, just out of curiosity, why not measure the KOhm rating.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jasonlollar

Post by jasonlollar »

What it probably is- most pickups have a wire coming from each end of the coil, during certain years Rick soldered the inside of the coil to one of the polepieces on the end of the pickup. The polepiece on the end of the bobbin must contact the horseshoe magnet to complete the circuit. Normally they are flush with the bottom of the bobbin- bad design. I drop a little piece of solder on the pole but you could ruin your coil that way if you over heat. You might be tempted to push the pole down through the bobbin but you could short the coil that way too.
so if you cant see a wire coming from the center of the bobbin and a wire or what appears to be two wires coming off the side of the bobbin, thats your problem.
bluebird

Post by bluebird »

Thanks for all the advice. Turned out to be very simple in the end. Everything inside in excellent condition. I can only think that the screw holding the wire to the bottom of the horseshoe was loose as everything has been fine since I put it all back together. I wasn't able to take photos or readings I'm afraid- I'll post a picture of the whole instrument if you like. All need now is a 'Rickenbacher' badge, which is missing, if anyone has one to sell.
Martin
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

The pre-war metal logo plates are hard to find. Try to find a cheap model 59 on Ebay. It has the same logo plate. I have seen several of these that have had the hardware stripped. They have sold for less than $50. Good luck.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”