Console 500's

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jpittman

Console 500's

Post by jpittman »

Does anyone know where I can get pickup parts for a Console 518 (8-10-8)? Or recommend some good pickups for it?

Someone removed it's electronics but it is otherwise in great shape. I need the pickup housings and all.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

That's a really tall order, but Rick Aiello makes excellent high teck replacements.
He can be contacted through the Steel Guitar Forum, www.steelguitarforum.com.
Here's a link to his site.
http://horseshoemagnets.com/_sgt/f10000.htm
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Someone removed it's electronics but...

Sounds like a Marc Seligman job! Image Image
jpittman

Post by jpittman »

Actually, I was in contact with Rick already about some pickups for it. Rick and Jason Lollar got tangled in a lawsuit from John Hall and Rickenbacker for "trademark infringement" with the horseshoe pickups. I contacted Rickenbacker to see if they had intentions to produce the pickups themselves, but they said they had no intentions.... It's been a struggle to figure something out.

All I really need for now is the mounting bracket for the 10-string... I'll try to post some pictures to show what I mean...
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Little bit of misinformation here- there were no lawsuits involved. Some people were reminded that the horseshoe pickup has long been covered by trademark, that we had federally registered it, and they wisely chose to avoid a lawsuit. End of story.
jpittman

Post by jpittman »

Sorry. My mistake....

Incidentally, John, do you have any idea if the mounting plate from the 4000 series treble pickup would fit the 10-string on my Console 518?

I'm thinking I'll just pick up some pickups to make due until I can find some good replacements......

If anyone could make a good suggestion, John, I'm sure it could be you!
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

I'll have to look in an old catalog to refresh my memory as to what a 500 surround looks like but it's possible there's still some stock on these in the obsolete parts, where most of the goods for RIC-Outlet come from. Let me check it out.
jeff_ulmer
Intermediate Member

Post by jeff_ulmer »

http://www.rickbeat.com/modelslibrary/console508/rick508-edit.jpg

This is a pic of my 508. The surround for the 10 string would obviously be larger. What color is your 518, blonde or brunette? Image

Once you get it put back together you should consider sending Bjorn at Rickbeat a photo to add to the 500 series page.
jpittman

Post by jpittman »

Blonde... although, I've seen a few pics around, i do have a little brunette-envy. But, don't tell that to the wife ;)
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Oh, okay, I think I have one of these guitars stashed somewhere at the shop although I have no idea about the string configuration.

I think it's going to be a long shot if I have that massive surround.
jpittman

Post by jpittman »

Hey John, just wondering if you got a chance to check on that 10-string surround?
jpittman

Re: Console 500's

Post by jpittman »

Does anyone out there know of a 10-string surround pickup mount that I could use for the Console 518?! I'm just about finished everything and still don't have a working idea for the 10-string pickup! I've dug around and haven't had much success, kept a close eye to all things available on ebay, asked every person I could think off that might have an idea... no luck!

I think I can officially assume that there are none left in storage at RIC :cry:
Thanks for your input John.

Anyone else got an idea?
Cheers.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Justin, it would help immensely if we knew what one looked like and how it was originally made...

If it is a stamped part like a chrome 6-string or 4-string horseshoe bezel, there are easy alternatives.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Rick Aiello makes other pickups that will probably work. One is called the Potbelly and the other is the MRI. Neither uses pole pieces so the number of strings is inconsequential, as I understand it.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”