Decals

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

flavour

Decals

Post by flavour »

Hey there.... I gotta go to bed, its late her in Aussie land! Can anyone tell me if decal logos strictly mean post war. And lastly does 1 1/2" pick-up strictly mean pre-war. I gotta get up to speed on these Ricks. I play a Weissonborn copy and want to get a vintage Lap steel so I need to be educated....knowledge rules!!! Gosh I am tired.....cheers and thanks. Jase :mrgreen:
paologregorio

Re: Decals

Post by paologregorio »

Do you have any pictures of the guitar in question? It would help.
flavour

Post by flavour »

Thanks for your reply Paul. I have just purchased this guitar this morning via the bay so I won't have any pictures for a couple of weeks. I have been trying my hardest to find out if it was pre-war, but couldn't mention that on this forum until I had offically purchased it. Its a silver Hawaiin with 1 1/2" horse shoe, two dark knobs(flying saucer type) on the one side,patent N.o-2089171 near P.U, D1569 stamped on peg head and Rikenbacher decal logo. Its seems to have a bit of pre and a bit of post. Apparently there were no numbers on the pots either. There is news paper inside so I will pull some out when it gets here. I can't bloody wait .....cheers Jay :o
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Welcome J. Glad to see another lap steel enthusiast here. I'm no expert but I remember hearing that if it has two knobs it's post war? I dunno. Richard can chime in with much more knowledge than I. I saw that auction. Congrats. Pull that paper - it should be interesting! I have a '38 tan crinkle finish model B, and the horseshoe is the raunchiest pickup I've ever heard in my life!
flavour

Post by flavour »

Good on you Jase!! Great name you got there! Yeah can't wait to get that Ricky and hear that horse shoe kick through my valve......oh yeah!! Will let you know the year of the news paper when I get it.....I hope it doesn't say 1980!! :( LOL. As long it sounds good.....I know it looks good. Thanks Jase , will post when I find out....
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

The most striking thing I noticed when I pulled the newspaper had nothing to do with the guitar, and was as follows:

It's very easy to complain (and rightly so) about how shallow and commercial our current society is, especially here in the States, where you can't spit without hitting an advertisement for something. It's also easy for someone my age to have a romanticized concept of what American life was like, say, 50-75 years ago. Then I pulled the newspaper, which was a 4-page ad insert for a brand of mayonnaise that tried to pawn itself off as a legitimate piece of journalism, depicting "stories" of people on picnics, and games for kids to play, etc. In that instant I saw that nothing's changed. Never again will I make the offhand comment "I was born too late." I'll gladly take the medical advances, thank you!
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Jason,
Your Silver Hawaiian matches prewar specs. They were made until 1943. I have never seen one of these with a decal logo, but the decals were in production before WW2.
Please post photos as soon as you can.
flavour

Post by flavour »

G'day Richard. Sorry but I am a little excited to be corresponding to you. Thank you for all your responses. Your knowledge of these lap steels is awesome and I am very happy that I may have a pre war Ricky. I will have it in about 10 days or so and will gladly post photos. Thanks mate Jase
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Um, Ricky? Depending on generation, he was either Lucy's or Bianca's hubby...
flavour

Post by flavour »

Thats Aussie for you.....always got to shorten the length of any given name. You know......"Dolphie"......"Bachs"....."China"...."digger".....I could go on!. So was Lucy worth an optic nerve!!! Sorry couldn't help myself. Thanks Paul

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”