Lap Steels In The Register

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Lap Steels In The Register

Post by admin »

Here is a current listing of lap steels in the Register.

Lap Steels
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Re: Lap Steels In The Register

Post by rshatz »

Peter,
Several days ago I registered my Rick lap steels.
It was easy.
However, very few steel guitar model names exist in the model list. Also, entering the serial number of the early models produces incorrect production dates.
As you know, Rickenbacher didn't use serial numbers on their instruments in the postwar period until 1954. Those instruments must be dated by specifications and pot codes, etc.. For that reason it would be necessary for registrants to be able to enter the estimated production dates manually to assure some degree of accuracy.
I know that steel guitars are of minimal or no interest to most people, but they are historically very important. I compliment you on your tremendous effort, and since you have come this far, the addition of lap steel model names and dates would really perfect this great achievement.
To that end I would be happy to supply you with a list of all steel guitar models and production dates I know. I also am in contact with many collectors and players of Rick steels. I'm sure many of them would probably register their instruments, if they thought It would further strengthen our knowledge.
Keep up the great work. Let me know if you want me to send the info.
Richard
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Richard:

Currently the model list is being built from the existing models, if you find any model which is missing - just leave it empty and state the right model name in your comments, as soon as Peter or myself will modify your model name - the next person who will search for such a model will have it available in the pull-down menu.

Same goes for manufacturing year - our serial decoder can deal with post 1960 instruments, anything earlier than that will have to be manually inserted, just state the right manufacturing year in your comments and we will do the rest.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Thanks, I was hoping it would be that easy.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Richard: Your interest is appreciated and we will make good use of the information you provide. We will also work on it until it is right. As Gil has said, just let us know of any errors you see and we will make the corrections.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Man, there sure are a lot of Rick lap steels in Illinois! Hey wait a minute, Richard is in Illinois..... :lol:
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Singleneck Models
A22
A25
B
BD
Silver Hawaiian (prewar Model 100)
Academy
Ace
NS
SD
G (Deluxe Hawaiian)
SW
TW
CW
Jerry Byrd
J-6
J-8
Bronson Model 52
(I don't know the last lap steel model made. It was similar to the Model 100 but with a single coil pickup.)

Doubleneck Models
Electro Doubleneck
Deluxe
DW

Console Models
200 Series
500 Series
700 Series

Pedal Models
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Richard, we will use this information as our reference point. You may "steel" the show yet with your collection.

rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Correction to model list.
Delete DS replace with SD.
Sorry about the typo.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”