Need new tuning machines...

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

flavour

Need new tuning machines...

Post by flavour »

G'day all and happy new year!! Just wondering if anyone can tell me what would be the best tuning machines to get for my silver hawaiian.The old one were three on a plate made by Kluson MFG co. The plate is 4 2/4" long, 1 3/8" from centre of post to post, post is 1" long and 6/32" diameter. I got new ones here in Australia however the diameter of the posts were too thick. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light......I looked at new Klusons on the net but the breast plate came up 2/8" short. Intriguing stuff hey!! Jase
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Re: Need new tuning machines...

Post by rshatz »

flavour

Post by flavour »

G'day Richard. Thanks for the tip on the tuning machines. The specs were perfect and the longer posts will be very welcome indeed. I have tried to put some photos of my Silver Hawaiian up, but my attempts have failed. I think I need to compress the files......or something! Also could you please let me know what I would expect to pay for a Model b,bakelite, silver plates and one volume control all in good nick. The Aussie dollar is about 85.5 in USD so it could prove to be an expensive venture. However I think they are just an utterly beautiful instrument and just so historically significant. If only all those Strat and Tele players could understand!! :D . Anyways hope your well and thanks again. Jase
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Jason,
Glad to be of help.
The B6 you're looking for is the earliest version having only a volume control.
They are really wonderful instruments and are generally in high demand by players and collectors.
They can usually be had for $1500-1800 (USD), sometimes less.
Ebay is the best source. Just search for Rickenbacher (the early spelling).
It will usually produce a list of less than 10 items.
You should also try the Steel Guitar Forum wanted section. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewforum.php?f=1
One of the members might be willing to part with one.
The SGF is a really great site, especially the Steel Without Pedals board.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewforum.php?f=13
Good luck.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”