Model B on ebay

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

flavour

Model B on ebay

Post by flavour »

Just womdering if anyone has seen the 1935 Rickenbacher Model B lapsteel(listed like that) on ebay. I thought it was a little humourous. The seller has massive wraps for it and states its in "mint" condition. I think the seller thought it was a fry pan. It has star head scews on the name plate, 3 on a plate tuners, and transparent tone and volume knobs. I just think it seemd a little less than original/ mint. Anyways I got too much time on my hands.......poor bloke, hope he doesn't read this!!!
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Re: Model B on ebay

Post by rshatz »

Jason,
Yes, the listing is pretty funny. Obviously the seller doesn't know anything about these instruments.
Your observations are very astute. It certainly is not mint or all original. The control knobs appear to be the same as the ones used on the model G and some early 50s Magnatones, very rare and almost impossible to find.
I'm surprised and also delighted to see it bid up to over $900 with four days left. The price of prewar Model Bs have come down a bit lately. Perhaps the AK47 case is propping up price.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Jason,
You are amazingly observant. I just checked out all my prewar Ricks that have the metal logo plate. All of them are attached by slot head screws, even the ones of the 39-41 vintage (love that word). It is now bid at $1175. I recently seen a few pristine original ones from 35-36 sell for less.
I'm really glad you brought up this auction. I love this kind of mental masturbation.
I guess that's why I check out this forum just about every day.
flavour

Post by flavour »

Thanks mate. I have become a little obsessed with these lap steels and its always interesting to see what the various ones sell for. We have extremely limited sellers over here in Australia which is a little frustrating. Anywyays to follow up on what you said......yes I saw a model B(1936) close to mint from a seller called coyotebait. It actually looked very nice and would have been close to all original and that sold for $1560 and this latest auction is at $1750 and still running. Not sure what the bidders are thinking......I reckon the winner might be a tad dissapointed on the arrival day of the guitar(especially if they understand the meaning of mint! I mean lets not use this term lightly........is this classed as mental masturbation......I better go play a solo!! Will be watching the auction closely...Cheers Richard ,Jase
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

I'm really happy to see this far less than perfect specimen go for almost $1300 without a case. I guess if this thread was MM then this is almost a mental orgasm.
flavour

Post by flavour »

......I reckon the seller would have thought it was orgasmic! He got some pretty good dollars for that particular guitar....without a case. Oh well,it gave us a topic. Cheers

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”