D-16 steel guitar

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

sazygirl

D-16 steel guitar

Post by sazygirl »

I have a D-16 steel guitar, and am interested in knowing when it was made. I also would like to know the approx value if possible. I am not sure how to attach a picture as I am new at this, but I do have a pat # if that helps at all. It is 2089171. Thank you to anyone who can help me with this. Or even if they can tell me how to get pics put on here for you to see.
Thanks,
Tammy
Darkhollow

Re: D-16 steel guitar

Post by Darkhollow »

If you already have pictures on your computer of the instrument, there is an "Upload Attachment" click able option on the left under the the text box when you post. You can select that and browse to the pictures location to upload them.

Or link directly to a hosting site like putfile or photobucket etc.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Welcome Tammy. To post a picture, make it about 800 x 600 and 135k in size, then click the tab below the box you type in that says Upload Attachment, then follow the steps and viola, you pictures are posted.

Ha, you type faster Justin!
sazygirl

Post by sazygirl »

Thank you both so much. I am trying to downsize them right now, so in just a few minutes with any luck they should be on here. I appreciate your help!
Tammy
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I'm just learning about Rick laps, but I think the serial numbers were stamped in the body. Can't remember if it was in the headstock area or around the bridge end. The patent number does not relate to the manufacturing date, I believe. If Richard pops in you'll get definitive answers.

I did find this: http://lapsteelguitar.com/awsumcart.asp ... lap_rick_4
And this one: http://elderly.com/vintage/items/185U-400.htm
Also there is one like this at a pawn shop here and they are asking $1395.
sazygirl

Post by sazygirl »

Hope these pics worked.
Attachments
th_Gutar_025-1.jpg
th_Gutar_025-1.jpg (5.36 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
th_Gutar_023-1-1.jpg
th_Gutar_023-1-1.jpg (4.94 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
Gutar_002-1-1.jpg
sazygirl

Post by sazygirl »

Well since I have been here I have seen no real interest in this kind of guitar. If anyone knows of any other place that I can post this info and maybe get a little feedback please let me know. I just really want to find out more about it.
Thanks,
Tammy
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

It's true that, with most Rickenbacker enthusiasts, the steel guitars are viewed as little more than intriguing curiosities. Mr. Schatz is your best bet; he knows more than the rest of us put together. They're undervalued, IMO. I think that, if we knew more, we'd be more than willing to share, Tammy.

There are steel guitar forums on the Web. There's a list of 'em here:

http://www.steelguitar.com/resource/newsgrou.htm

You also might try www.steelguitarforum.com

Sorry we couldn't help you more!
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

There is really not too much more to add about this instrument. It's a T-logo which means it was made between 1948 and 1952. The pickups are standard horseshoes of the era. I don't think they made many of these just based on my experience over the years.
Your D16 looks like it's in nice shape and has a good case. However, it's not what I consider a highly collectible instrument. Your photos demonstrate only that It is a D 16 of that era.
There is not enough detail for a collector to even begin to be interested. As for players, it's not considered a great gigging instrument for a number of reasons, weight for one.
If you want to sell it, I think you might get as much as $1200-1400 on Ebay if you post a bunch of detailed photos that demonstrate it to be in excellent condition. Another important thing to players and collectors alike is function. You've never mentioned whether or not the instrument produces any sound when played though an amplifier. Certainly, you can't be expected to know how good it sounds relative to lap steel guitars, but if you play electric guitar, you can certainly relate the sound to something you know.
There's a slightly later one on Ebay right now.
Let's see what it sells for. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0261383576
I hope this helps.
Good luck.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

The instrument referenced above is a DC-16 (deluxe model)
It went for under $700. That's an amazingly low price for a great steel in great shape, when you consider the NS models sometimes bring almost that much.
sazygirl

Post by sazygirl »

Thank you very much for the information. I was given the guitar as a donation for an auction to raise money for the fight against Lupus. I have more picture of it, but could only get the few I posted to stay here on the website. I am totally new at this. BUt I will definatly be trying it out this weekend, because I was also given the amp it came with. I myself am just really curious to learn more about it, so I can tell others about it when they show interest.

But..thank you all for your help and inisght, I will be looking more here and checking back always to see if anything else comes up.
Tammy
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Tell us about the amp and post some pics, please.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”