A real collectors piece

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rshatz
RRF Consultant

A real collectors piece

Post by rshatz »

Century Singing Electric. It was made in the mid 30s, but I can't find and don't know anything about it other than it's a cast aluminum thing like the frypan and sports one of the early Rickenbacher horseshoe pickups.
This one is for sale on Ebay, once again. The price has come down and I'm bidding.
I just thought some of you would like to see a really rare bird with the "holy grail" pickup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30S-CENTURY-RICKENB ... dZViewItem
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: A real collectors piece

Post by kiramdear »

Gorgeous! Go for it before someone else does. Happy Bidding!
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The price has come down? :shock: What was it before the bargain price it is listed at currently?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Nice!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Darkhollow

Post by Darkhollow »

Oh wowowow!!! Stunning looking lap Richard. I would love to see some more photos of this one when you get it. I really love the look of the aluminum body, and it looks to be in really nice shape.

I am curious, what is the backing material made of? And how would would an aluminum back plate effect the tone on this?

Are the fret markers just low profile head socket cap screws?
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Well, I snagged it.
It was originally listed for $3500 or thereabout. Some people would consider the $2100 that I will be paying a bargain, as this is essentially a 25" scale frypan with a very early horseshoe pickup.
I'll post some detailed photos when I get it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Great! :D Are you coming to MARF III? IF so, bring it.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

I won't be attending MARF, but I will post some detailed photos if anyone is interested.
Darkhollow

Post by Darkhollow »

rshatz wrote:I won't be attending MARF, but I will post some detailed photos if anyone is interested.
Very much so yes! Few audio clips would be nice too. Congrats on the purchase Richard, she's a beaut!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Forf an old girl, she sure is in good shape and a beauty. Congrats, and yes, post pictures.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

I can't find any info on this instrument.
A Steel Guitar Forum member confirms that little info is available and that George Gruhn said that the pickup was definitely made by Rickenbacher, but didn't know if they also made the body. I've also been told they were made in Chicago.
There were a number of companies making instruments in Chicago in the 30s.
Do any of you know anything else?
Here's a photo of another one from the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association's site.

kelvin

Post by kelvin »

That is a very interesting piece,I have just acquired a cast aluminium lap with what appears to be a very similar casting a slight rounder wing area but the string thru area neck etc are identical.Mine has National on the peghead and a Regal sticker at the tail.The pickup is a very old Stimson from the 30's,there is a photo on a web site in OZ.Northcoastguitars.com.au.My research showed that the castings for most of these guitars were done in chicago by the same company,any thoughts.A very nice pickup and bags of sustain ,certainly as hot as my B6. Cheers Kelvin
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Very cool! Kinda Flash Gordonesque. :D
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Kelvin,
I see your also posting on The Steel Guitar Forum. That's the place you'll get the most info. Cool piece. I have one just like that, but the cord is bad and I haven't fixed it. So, I don't know what it sounds like. My interest is mostly blues, so I guess I'll try to get motivated enough to get it in working order.
kelvin

Post by kelvin »

Richard blues is my thing too and thru a cranked amp it sounds awesome,used it last night on a gig and my B6 stayed in its case,also no tuning stability issues.Love to see apic of yours.Cheers from OZ

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”