The nicest lap steel I have ever owned

Zilla
Attachments
RIC.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Re: My new BD6

Post by admin »

George: Welcome to the Forum. A mighty fine looking lap steel. Tell us about the tone?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

George welcome! That lap is in such nice shape! Is it all original, not refinished? Beautiful.
Zilla

Post by Zilla »

The Ric scratches an itch that I have for that ultimate feel in a lap steel. The tone is bright coming out of a Fender 15 watt tube amp. I can get the Ric to roar like David Gilmour, or just sway in the palms. Right now, I have it set up with Asher electric strings .058 to .016 and tuned to an Open D.
The previous owner purchased it new in 1949. It still had the original strings on it and two replacement sets of "Electro" brand strings in the case. All the paperwork I received with it suggested that the guitar be tuned to an Open E.

Zilla
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

George: Thanks for your comments.

Would you please do us the favour of looking closely at the Electro guitar strings and commenting on their quality?

Are you able to determine what existing make and type of strings compare most favourably to these new old stock strings?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Zilla

Post by Zilla »

The "Electro" brand strings are flat wound and very much like the old Gibson flat wounds that were made by Perfection String Co. of Brunswick, Indiana (1946 -51). Like I said in an earlier post, the guitar had original strings still on it. They had the same green silk wrappings as the opened strings in the case. 59 years old and very little if any corrosion on them. The guitar tuned right up and held pitch without any adjustment.
The Electro band strings have a heavier core and the 2nd meassusring .018 is wound. They sound much like the SIT or D'adario chrome flats.
The guitar came alive when I put the Asher brand strings. They are much brighter and beefer sound.

Zilla

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”