Time to buy?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rshatz
RRF Consultant

Time to buy?

Post by rshatz »

I watch the lap steel market pretty closely and prices have really come down on very collectible and playable instruments in the last six months or so.
Some very good looking prewar B6s have sold for less than $1k. Postwar B6s and B6D models are selling in the $5oo-$700 range or not selling at all.
The same is true for prewar and post war Silver Hawaiian models.
If you're looking for great value in lap steels, I really think this is a very good time to buy these great instruments at what will probably be looked at as bargain prices.
I'm not trying to say they won't go lower in the near term, but long term I think the appreciation potential is higher than it has been for some time.
Any other thoughts?
What seems peculiar at this time is that the least collectible instruments (model 100 series and model s/ns) seem to be appreciating to above the $500 level for no apparent reason.
Any opinions?
Zilla

Re: Time to buy?

Post by Zilla »

At the two recent Vintage show I attended. Both pre-war and post-war Ric bakelites were selling at high prices. Some pre-war B6 were tagged and sold for over $1500 and I saw several B6D priced and selling for over $1000. Mind you, all instruments were in excellent condition with no issues. Silver models have hit the bottom. I saw one leave Arlington for $350.

Zilla
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Thanks,
I guess the online thing doesn't tell the whole story.
I'm glad to hear about the Model Bs.
I'm amazed to hear the silvers are going so cheaply.
Maybe it's time to buy.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

It is a buyer's market all around, no doubt. Steels are often a "novelty" instrument for regular guitarists, so it's possible you'll see steels dip in price more than regular Ricks.
Ricknut63

Post by Ricknut63 »

I've been watching them too,and prices have dipped a bit...certainly the time to pick one up if you've been putting it off...
thorny1970

Re: 1940s steel for sale, owned since new.

Post by thorny1970 »

:D hi guys, I'm new to this , ok here it go's.

I have a mint orig post war (1940-45) lap steel. its in the org case w/ org picks and slide. this has been in my family since new. it blonged to my uncle and he passed away in 1963 a month before Kennady was killed. it has sat in my grandmothers closet until 1994 when I got it. It's black bakelite with white enameled plates. has orig strings still on it! case in in very goog cond, steel is truley an unmolested orig piece in my family since new! I'm selling if the price is right. it has pat # 20B9171. ANY TAKERS? in Nevada Call or email @ 775-246-2756 or walshfamcomp@att.net I will try to add pictures soon. THIS IS 100% GURENTEED TRUE ORIG. Thanks, Wayne

Last bumped by thorny1970 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:34 pm.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”