marc61

Re: For a first lap steel...opinions?

Post by marc61 »

knew I shoulda just grabbed it. Oh well
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I've been seeing quite a few Rick lap steels on the 'bay the last few weeks. Sometimes I think I'd like to pick one up myself one day.

JimK
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Marc, it would have been a good one, 8 string though. I guess I'll see how good I am at it soon. DOH! :lol:

Tell Evan I'm sorry.... I did respond to your other thread with some useful info.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

John, are you saying you stole my steel? :lol:
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

What a cute little body it has :)

I found myself pondering about it. Glad it went into loving hands.
All I wanna do is rock!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

marc61 wrote:John, are you saying you stole my steel? :lol:
Yeah, I stole your steel! :lol: But I steel don't have it in hand... :shock: :lol: :roll:
marc61

Post by marc61 »

This looks cute, with the amp and all. Not sure if it's worth the price as I see the guitars them selves selling about $200-300 lower ( just use naviagtion on lefto to go to Rickenbacker s-6 as he calls it)

http://www.scottysmusic.com/steellist02.htm
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Marc, I will say that combo (amp and steel) are in really really nice shape - look at the case! (if it is original). Times are tough, so if you're leaning towards it, call and make an offer.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Mark,
That appears to be a very nice set. It's a later prewar Model 59. It's been on Scotty's website for a very long time and hasn't sold for the asking price. It might be a consignment.
I'll be in St Louis tomorrow and Saturday. If I get a chance, I'll check it out for you and let you know if it looks good enough to command that price.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Thanks Richard...much appreciated
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

I gave that set at Scotty's a pretty close look and a short test drive.
It's a consignment. The price is firm and the owner won't break up the set.
The set looks to be completely original. The chipboard case is in excellent condition but might be a postwar replacement. The tuner buttons are shriveled but functional. There are numerous fine scratches on the guitar and amp that do not show in the photos but hardly detract from the appearance. It doesn't sound as full as my prewar Ricks, but it's still very good. Perhaps the transistor amp I was using at the store just wouldn't let its tonal qualities come through. The amp is really nothing more than a curiosity having no volume or tone control. It is fully functional but sounds terrible, at least in part because it has very old tubes (metal jacket type), which I think were made in the early post war period.
As a collectible it's priced reasonably, but $800 is much more than you need to pay for a great playable Model 59. JMO Hope this helps with your decision.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Thanks for the input Richard...yes I guess i agree. I really think I can get a B6(which is the model I prefer) for $800 or less. there's one on Ebay with a BIN of $695. Looks like it needs some work though.

Saw a beautiful BD6 at the Hollywood GC today. It was NFS though. I just need a little patience, and I'll find the right one.

If I do go pure collectible with the amp..I kinda like this one.. http://vintageandrareguitars.com/web/ou ... /item/3261 ...$1700USD plus tarriff has me put off at the moment though.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Marc,
That Selmer is a Spanish guitar with a round neck not a lap steel as described.
They are only of interest to collectors and are not considered players instruments. Although I can't substantiate it, I've heard that the pickups were different than those on the lap steels, and that the export models had very different electronic specifications.
I couldn't find the B6 you mentioned for $695 that needs work, but I've seen several nice B6s that have gone for less that $1k recently.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Here it is Richard...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-Model-B-Ricke ... .m20.l1116

Thanks again for the advice on the Selmer...

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”