Is this real???

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

MichaelStewart

Is this real???

Post by MichaelStewart »

I was wondering if anyone had seen this?

ebay item # 350140802187
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Is this real???

Post by jps »

Yes, it is quite real.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

What makes you think it's not real?
MichaelStewart

Post by MichaelStewart »

The price.

Aren't horseshoe pickups worth that much by them selves?
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

As I understand the horseshoe thing, it's the bass players that want them to restore the old Rick bass guitars, but I don't think many of them are willing to pay more than the auction starting price. I don't understand why they don't just get their shoes remagnetized if that's the problem. If it's a coil problem, that should be addressed separately.
That lap steel complete with the pup isn't worth that much in today's market. Just my opinion. I actually hope I'm wrong and they are worth that much. I have lots of 'em.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

A few months ago, I paid $400.00 for a 1960 lap steel, with the (possible) intention of having the HS pickup rebuilt properly for my 4001S. However, once I plugged it in and played it, I knew it would remain intact. These old Ric lap steels are a gem if you find a good one.
Ricknut63

Post by Ricknut63 »

just_bassics wrote:A few months ago, I paid $400.00 for a 1960 lap steel, with the (possible) intention of having the HS pickup rebuilt properly for my 4001S. However, once I plugged it in and played it, I knew it would remain intact. These old Ric lap steels are a gem if you find a good one.
I did just that with a similar steel & my 4001...I took the magnets off of the steel, put two ceramic humbucker magnets under the original coil,added a RIC bass bridge pickup cover/handrest,and the steel is still mostly original,and it still sounds great...my 1977 4001 has the old horseshoe magnets,with a re-wound higain coil ,and it sounds GREAT!

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”