What model is this?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cjj
RRF Moderator

What model is this?

Post by cjj »

Anybody know what model this is Does it have a model number besides Jerry Byrd?
full.jpg
plate.jpg
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: What model is this?

Post by cjj »

And, while we're at it, how about this one?
full.jpg
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

The first one was originally called the Model CW-8 in the mid-1950s. It was made with 6,7,8 and 10 strings. It was also available in 22.5" and 25" scales. The short scale instruments were renamed Jerry Byrd model in the early 60s.
The second one is a Model SW-8 and was also available with 6 or 10 strings.
Both of these are fairly rare in my experience.
Where did you find them?
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Hmm, rare huh? Well thanks for the info!

Where I found them was on ebay. The Jerry Byrd sold for $561, the other for $599 (not sure if it actually sold though). Maybe I should have bid...

I don't know a lot about steels, although I'm kinda getting interested in them, I just might get one to play around with. Mostly with these two, I'd entered them in the register as "Collected Instruments" and didn't know what model to use from the list in the register.

So, were the prices on those reasonable?

How about this one, any idea of a reasonable price for one of these?
RK-2.jpg
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

cjj wrote:

Where I found them was on ebay. The Jerry Byrd sold for $561, the other for $599 (not sure if it actually sold though). Maybe I should have bid...
I'd have gladly spent that kind of money.

JimK
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Those prices seem way too low for those steels. I sold my JB Model for $800 about 7 years ago.
On Ebay almost anything can happen.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I had a feeling they were a good deal. Ah well.

So, how about that double steel? That one's supposedly a 208. Is $1450 a good price?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

IMO, $1450 is about twice the going rate for one of these, though they don't come up too often; I paid something like $650 for my 206, which seems to be rarer than a 208...I have seen a few 206s and two 208s in the $1500 asking range lately, but I don't think there have been any sales at these prices.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Thanks Paul. I was kind of thinking it was a bit out of line too. It's a BIN only auction, which, seem to always start out somewhere in dreamland...
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

CJ,
I don't really know much about console models. So, whatever Paul has to say here about those is way beyond my knowledge and/or experience.
Here's what little I've been led to believe, and most of this is from George Gruhn's book. I think that one is a 700 series.
The consoles were the 200. 500 and 700 series. The 200s had a metal binding around the body. The 500s were triple neck instruments. The 700s were produced in double neck, pedal and non-pedal models without metal bindings.
I'm just going from memory and I'm not real sure about these things. Someone made off with my Gruhn's guide recently, so all this might be totally wrong.
I think Paul is really right on the money about the double six being worth more.
I've typed way too much.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Thanks for typing all that! It's helping me learn, and that's what's best about this forum!

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”