Tuner replacement on B6

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

radioactive

Tuner replacement on B6

Post by radioactive »

I have a 1938 Rickenbacher Bakelite B6, this is the model with two knobs, that are opposite sides of the lapsteel. Although not labeled, one is a Volume and the other a Tone Control. It's the model that came immediately after the single octagon knob model.
've had this lapsteel for some time, like 20 years, and it's in fine condition, just needs some restoration. The first thing I'm looking for is a schematic so I can go over the electronics. It has a 1.5" Horseshoe pickup.

The other question I have is regrading replacement of the tuners. I've been looking for the same type of vintage tuner for a long time without any luck, so at this point I think it's going to be a complete tuner overhaul. I've got a set of Wavelys that seem to fit perfectly but the small screwholes don't line up with the tuner base. Only on screw can be tughtened, the other is off by a tiny amount. Has anyone sucessfully drilled and tapped Bakelite before, and if so, what's the best way to avoid any damage. I suppose I could leave the Waverlys attached with just one screw per tuner, but I'd like to find out if it's a simple job.

Thanks for any help.

Rob
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Re: Tuner replacement on B6

Post by rshatz »

Here's a link to the schematic.
http://www.horseshoemagnets.com/userfiles/wiring.jpg
These tuners might work.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guit ... ghead.html
Click on the specs tab for exact measurements.
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

Thanks for the help Richard!
Those vintage strip tuners might work, I'll have to get out the calipers and start measuring.
kram175

Post by kram175 »

Say, Rob -- I know this is an old thread, but did those tuners turn out to fit? I'm in a similar situation, and it would be great to know if anyone has had success with these tuners.

Thanks!
Rickenbacher Bakelite B6, serial no. C57 * Gibson ES-175D (1961) * Martin J12-40M * Gibson Les Paul 'R6' * Fender Telecaster '52 AV reissue
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

kram175 wrote:Say, Rob -- I know this is an old thread, but did those tuners turn out to fit? I'm in a similar situation, and it would be great to know if anyone has had success with these tuners.

Thanks!
Mark...... Better late than never I guess. I ended up looking thru the link that Richard sent me, and then came across the Waverlys. These are nickel plated individual open tuners that have a simple nickel oval. They're very vintage looking and befitting the 1930s Rickenbacher. They fit on the B-6 although one of your tuner screwholes will slightly off alignment by a skinny gnat's hair. I've got them in the B-6 and they are tight enough with just one screw to do their job. Here's the B-6 below.

kram175

Post by kram175 »

Wow, thanks for posting the update and pic, Rob. Your B6 is a beautiful instrument and the Waverlys look great. I'll have to look into them to replace my ailing tuners. Love the amps!
Rickenbacher Bakelite B6, serial no. C57 * Gibson ES-175D (1961) * Martin J12-40M * Gibson Les Paul 'R6' * Fender Telecaster '52 AV reissue
mattpeyton

Post by mattpeyton »

Sorry to bounce this thread back up - but what model Waverly's are these and etc? Are there more pictures? I have a couple of bent tuners... see photo
Attachments
Rickey Lapsteel Tuners.jpg
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

I've got a Rickenbacher B-6 , 1.5" HS pickup, string thru body, with identical tuners, it's the model with translucent pearloid plates. From what I've read this particular model was from around the 1939-40 period. I have seen those tuners on other pre-war B-6 models.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”