1946 NS pot codes

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

hank_seldon

1946 NS pot codes

Post by hank_seldon »

I just picked up what I think is an old Richenbacher 1946 NS. I'm a vintage guitar collector and typically I'll disassemble it and clean the pots and date it by the pot codes. This one has the code Z 4171-5 5191 or might be 2 4171-5 5191 on both pots. I've not seen this one before. Can anybody shed some light on this?
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Re: 1946 NS pot codes

Post by rshatz »

Hank,
Those pot codes, as you probably know, don't correspond to the standard postwar codes.
If your lap steel is very early postwar, it's possible that prewar pots that were left over were used. The prewar pot codes, as I understand it, were company specific and may or may not have had any dating significance.
A few questions:
What color is it?
What is the width of the magnet?
Does it have a metal logo plate or decal?
Is there a serial number stamped on the top of the headstock?
I am also a collector. If you could post some detailed photos, that would be helpful in more closely estimating the production era.
If your steel is stuffed with newspaper, which many were, the newspaper date would certainly show the earliest possible production date.
hank_seldon

Post by hank_seldon »

Yeah, I knew they weren't EIA codes but though maybe they had some significance in the Rick world. It's tough to get good pics since the surface is very reflective but the link is below for a few shots. Details other than the label are pat. no. on the plastic bridge anchors. It is stuffed with paper but no print. No serial number and has a 1 1/4" magnet. Really nice piece after I cleaned it up.

http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt31/hank_seldon/
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Hank,
About the closest you can get here is 1946-47. According to Gruhn's Guide they went to white position markers in 1948.
Your steel looks to be in really great shape.
How does it sound?
hank_seldon

Post by hank_seldon »

Well, I collect Gibson archtops so it's hard for me to comment on the sound since I play fretted instruments. I don't have a bar but I did play it briefly with a metal slide through an old Twin. Sounded like a lap steel! I bought it only because the condition was excellent. I didn't realize it was that old but noticed the spelling of Richenbacher with a H instead of K so I bought it on a whim. I did a little research when I got home and concluded it was very early post war mainly due to the headstock having 2 holes drilled for pre-war style metal tab logo. Cool piece. What's the finish called?
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

I don't know if the finish actually had a name.
Some of the early postwar models had a slightly crinkled finish.
Enjoy.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”