Double 8 String

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

nbfanca

Re: Double 8 String

Post by nbfanca »

I have only limited experience in 8-string playing. And frankly I'm wondering what tuning goes with those gages. I use a Buddy Emmons style C6 tuning with

.016 .016 .018 .026 .026 .035 .045 .056

Tuned D-E-C-A-G-E-C-A high to low (yes the second string is pitched higher than the first, Standard C6 has a G on top).

If you want to get started, I'd recommend Cindy Cashdollar's DvD for western swing playing.

http://www.homespuntapes.com/shop/product.aspx?ID=788

That will give you standard tunings (she uses stadard C6 though) and she may her own recommend gages.

The noise you are hearing is probably because you are not damping behing the bar. Steel players generally drag their finger behind the bar to smooth the tone. (See how Cindy is holding her left hand in cover photo for her DvD.)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

OK, a little more sleuthing on this beast:

The scale length is 25 inches, which makes this one a 700 Series console. Double 8 string makes it a Model 708.

The date codes on all the pots are "137 802" which equates to 2nd week of 1958.

I have the original sales receipt, dated March 22, 1960.

So, this Model 708 was obviously made sometime between January 6, 1958 and March 22, 1960. Since the pots are early 1958, I'm guessing it was actually made in 1958, possibly early 1958, but I have no idea how long the time might be between pot manufacture and Rickenbacker's use of the pots.

Thanks Richard, for all the tips in nailing down what this is and when it was made! :D
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

cj,
Glad I could help.
Now that you have narrowed down the production date, your life should become much more peaceful and you can get on to things like how to play steel guitar. If you just like to collect this kind of of stuff then you;re in big trouble. Collecting is much more difficult and frustrating. Trust me, I've done both.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Nah, I'm nowhere near a serious collector, at least not yet. :lol: I buy stuff because I like the way it looks and I think I want to play it. Steel is a totally new thing to me, I've thought about buying several, just because I've always wanted learn to play it. This one had the looks that pushed me over the edge to buy it. I'll learn to play it, probably not as well as most, but that's OK. I'm really a bass player, really. I like just about anything, but bass is what really "floats my boat" so to speak. But, I'm a total sucker for nice wood grain, I'm apt to buy just about anything with great wood, even if I don't have a clue as to what to do with it...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

[quote="cjj"]Hmm, well, my playing impressions are... I have NO idea what I'm doing!!!

Well you've entered the world of steel guitar in a really big way, so before you pickup too many bad habits or just learn thing the wrong way, you should become a member of the Steel Guitar Forum and immediately go to the non-pedal section.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewforum.php?f=13
Decide what kind of music you want to play. Then search the archives or just post a question. The people on the forum are very helpful and friendly. It's well worth the $5. You can buy greatly discounted string sets for virtually any tuning.
You should also visit Brad's Page of Steel, which is also very helpful and a great source of info.
http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
Brad is the moderator of the non-pedal section of the SGF.
Good luck and congratulations on a great purchase.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rshatz wrote:Decide what kind of music you want to play.
I think CJ is into Extreme Death Metalcore, right, CJ? :shock:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I have to admit, a steel with a lot of distortion can sound pretty good...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Yup!!! 8)

cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Oh yeah! :D
Great bass on Voodoo Child too... Huh... yup... I'm still a bass player at heart...

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”