1950's SW 8 Value?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mcuzo

1950's SW 8 Value?

Post by mcuzo »

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get someones expertise on this model lap steel. I have been in possesion of it for quite sometime. My father was in a country band in the 60's and this was left to him by his steel player who passed on. I am a veteran guitar player myself and appreaciate older instruments. I can play slide but have difficulty with this and prefer to sell it to someone that can really appreciate it. It only has 6 strings because I used a pack of my guitar strings. Anyway, the research I did points to model Rick put out in the 50's, maybe 55? SW 8. It is missing the piece that goes over the tuning pegs and it looks like the original case but the owner modified it to put legs through it. If anyone would like to see more pictures I can attach more.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Attachments
steel.jpg
westaussie

Re: 1950's SW 8 Value?

Post by westaussie »

Welcome to the forum Michael.
I have no knowledge of lap steels, but there are folk here who will have.
They are a nice helpful bunch in here and I'm sure you'll find the answers you seek. :)

Vic
mcuzo

Post by mcuzo »

Thanks Vic!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

You may want to keep your eye on ebay for comparable sales. There are at least two up now with asking prices from $350 to $650, both 6-strings. My guesstimate would be in the $500 area for yours; the modifications (and missing cover) may make that lower.

Welcome and good luck!
mcuzo

Post by mcuzo »

Ron, thanks for the reply. That helps a lot. Can anyone out there guess that year? I have the serial number if that helps. Thanks to all again for your help.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Please post the serial number.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”