Silver Hawaiian Steel

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ken_j
RRF Consultant

Silver Hawaiian Steel

Post by ken_j »

I have a friend who is the original, owner of an Hawaiian steel that he purchased new in 1942 or '43. Looking in the Smith book it most resembles the one pictured in the upper right hand corner on page 38. That one dates from around 1939. He called RIC with the serial number but they could not give him a date of manufacture. On page 39 of the Smith book a 1941 is pictured with a different configuration of the control knobs, but in all things with Rick we know there are no definite time lines. My friend would like to know if there is any way to closer identify its date. He is also looking for a value as he is now ready to let this go. He hasn't played it in a few years. It has a hard shell case plus he has an amp to sell. It is hard to read the name of the amp in the pics I was sent. It looks like it reads West----. I will try to get better pics and the full name of the amp. He said the speaker needs to be reconed or replaced but the amp works well other than that. Note the name tag has the old spelling with an "H". I would appreciate help in appraising this pristine instrument, case and amp if possible. The case has been replaced at one point as the original fell apart. Thanks, Ken.
steel guitar 038.jpg
steel guitar 041.jpg
steel guitar 036.jpg
steel guitar 007.jpg
Last edited by ken_j on Thu May 13, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The best things in life aren't things."
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Re: Silver Hawaiian Steel

Post by ken_j »

steel guitar 006.jpg
steel guitar 039.jpg
steel guitar 033.jpg
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

The name on the amp is Westpointe. They said they will try and get some better pics when they return home after this weekend.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Ken,
To the best of my knowledge, that is the third and last version of the prewar Silver Hawaiian and was produced from '39-"43.
The first version had only a volume control knob on the treble side.
The second version had the volume knob on the treble side and tone knob on the bass side.
The amp was probably made by Western Electric. They made amps for a number of companies that made electric instruments in the "30s.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Ken,
I obviously missed your last post, so my guess about the amp is wrong, unless there is a manufacturers label inside the amp or on the chassis. I can't even begin to place a value on this amp.
The value of the steel is in the $800-1200 range, if it's in original condition.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Thank you Richard. They are away for the weekend and I hope to get better pics and more info on the amp next week. We do not live close so I have never seen this. Although I have known him for years, I never knew he had this.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

More amp pics. The name plate on the front clearly reads West Point The Tilben Company. I guessing it is relabeled due to the manufacturers plate on the rear. Looks to have an early Jensen speaker with an electromagnet as opposed to a permanent magnet.
steel guitar 062.jpg
steel guitar 055.jpg
steel guitar 057.jpg
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Very interesting. That's only the second instrument I've seen with the Sound Projects name plate.
Here's the other one.

ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Thank You. I will pass on this info.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

I found a West Point lap steel here: http://dicksguitars.com/lapsteels.htm It states the Tilben Co. Detroit. This makes sense as my friend was raised in Detroit at that time.

I found this info on the "Tilben Company, established in 1935, is a full-line wholesale distributor, importer, and exporter servicing all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Canada. " They are located in New York.

My guess is that Sound Project is the manufacturer and Tilben is the distributer and most likely put the West Point name on this.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”