1950's Console 518

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jpittman

1950's Console 518

Post by jpittman »

Just to let some people that'll give this old treat the respect it deserves.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 500wt_1166

I figured people here would be most likely to be looking for one of these. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Cheers,
J.p
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Re: 1950's Console 518

Post by rshatz »

What will you do for pickups?
jpittman

Post by jpittman »

Hello,

The two 8-string decks are ready to go and sound terrific. They have Wallace True-tone pickups installed. I'd recommend them to anyone in the market! You can get a 10-string pickup from him as well. I have all the parts ( except for the pickup ) to use the 10-string... but I really have no idea HOW to play a 10-string, and so, didn't put much effort into getting that one up and operational.

Look up the Jerry Wallace True-Tones on Google. Thanks for the interest.

J.p
guitar-murph

Post by guitar-murph »

I just bought what I believe is a console 518. It appears to be maple in color; has two 8-string necks and one 10-string neck. The case is missing, as are the legs. However, the three horseshoes are intact and I believe all are working. It comes also with a vintage Morley wah-wah or volume pedal......not sure which at this point.

Can anyone tell me where to locate the serial number. I have been a Rickenbacker fan for many years and I have a fair amount of knowledge about their guitars and basses, but this is my first foray into the lap steel area. Is the serial number located on the tailpiece? Like on the combo series solid body guitars.

Also.....does anyone have an idea as to what one of these might be worth? I bought it primarily for the horseshoes, but depending upon the value/rarity of this model, I might keep it intact.

Here is the item. Should arrive in a few days....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

regards,
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yeah, that looks like a 518. As for where the serial number is, it varies. I've got a 1958 708 and the serial number is stamped into the wood on the bottom edge of one of the side boards. I've got a 1960 768 and the serial number is stamped into the output jack plate.

As for value, I have no idea...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

The Rickenbacker pricelist has some info on consoles and lapsteels, but nothing specific to the 518 console: http://www.rickresource.com/register/pr ... =lapsteels

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”