Lap Steel identity?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bradthedesigner

Lap Steel identity?

Post by bradthedesigner »

Hello. I've been having a hard time identifying this Ricky lap steel. It looks like a Post-War Model B. It has a 1 1/4" pickup, but it also has a metal badge and not a decal. Another weird thing is that the metal plates are not white or chrome, they are black. Is this some later model that isn't mentioned alot. Did they go back to metal badges? Here's some photos:

Any additional info would be appreciated. thanks!                                
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Re: Lap Steel identity?

Post by rshatz »

That instrument is almost undoubtedly a very early post war model B.
At that time some of the newer bodies were paired with left over prewar necks, but it is also possible that left over logo plates were used as well.

Some instruments with black plates were seen before World War II. I have also seen several that were made after World War II.

The pickup configuration on this instrument and the tail piece definitely place it in the postwar era.

Is there a serial number on the top of the headstock?
bradthedesigner

OK. Cool. That makes sense. Some of the things didn't add up. There are no numbers on the headstock unfortunately.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Since there is no s/n on the headstock, it is a postwar neck as well.
I've never seen that type of logo plate on a postwar instrument, but I have seen the decal logo with that shape on a prewar or wartime instrument.
The earliest postwar logos were t-shaped.
Very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Finds such as this make the RRF an exciting place to be. Nice work Richard and thanks for your post Brad.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
bradthedesigner

To confuse even more, I think it has the hand beveled edges as opposed to the rounded ones. See the photo:

Also, what's the best thing to use to clean/polish up this Bakelite? Should I just use a damp cloth, or does it not matter what you use. Thanks for all the info! It's funny, I ended up purchasing two Ricky lap steels this weekend. One is this one and one is a gray metal NS. I've loved lap steel for a long time and am finally excited to start learning how to play. If I can learn Sleepwalk, by Santo and Johnny....It'll be freaking amazing! I don't care how long it takes me to get it right.....ha

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”