Please Help!?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bradthedesigner

Please Help!?

Post by bradthedesigner »

So I posted on here a while back in the post titled "Lap Steel Identity." It was the Bakelite Ricky. Well I sold it on ebay, and I just got this message today:

----------------------------------
Brad,

You sent me a guitar that is not playable. As you know, the pickup poles are too high on the two high strings, and any pressure halfway up the neck puts it into contact with the poles. Lower the pickup, and it touches the horseshoe. This guitar was not as advertised, which would quality for it for a full refund, including shipping (I would pay shipping back).

The alternative would be for you to pay to have the poles adjusted, if they can be -- or new poles put in. I can contact Jason Lollar out here and see if he's able to do that and what the cost is.

What are your thoughts?

Al
-------------------------------------

I'm not too experienced with lap steels, but I was able to play it fine when I had it. I described it as best I knew how. Is he being extra picky or just wanting me to pay for a repair that he doesn't want to pay for? Be payed $700 for the guitar. Thanks for any opinions.

-brad
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Please Help!?

Post by jps »

I wonder if the buyer is playing it like a regular guitar? :shock: :roll:
bradthedesigner

Post by bradthedesigner »

He sent me a photo and it looks as if he strung it with the low string on the wrong side of the guitar. That should make a difference I think.

-brad
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

bradthedesigner wrote:He sent me a photo and it looks as if he strung it with the low string on the wrong side of the guitar. That should make a difference I think.

-brad
Maybe he's a left-handed player, then?

IMO if he's doing that, you can't be responsible for his modifying a right-handed instrument for left-handed play.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

doctorwho wrote:
bradthedesigner wrote:He sent me a photo and it looks as if he strung it with the low string on the wrong side of the guitar. That should make a difference I think.

-brad
Maybe he's a left-handed player, then?

IMO if he's doing that, you can't be responsible for his modifying a right-handed instrument for left-handed play.
If that is the case maybe the pickup needs to be flipped over.
"The best things in life aren't things."
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

The pickup is height adjustable using the screws on either side of the magnets.
Either or both sides can be raised or lowered.
That should take care of the problem.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”