Console 708 Wiring & Serial Numbers

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cjj
RRF Moderator

Console 708 Wiring & Serial Numbers

Post by cjj »

I recently took a look inside my Model 708 Console Steel in order to try to figure out when it might have been made. While I was in there, I traced out the schematic for the wiring:
Console700.jpg
I found it interesting that the two knobs by each pickup are not separate volume and tone for that pickup. Instead, the "far" knob for each pickup is that pickup's individual volume control, while the near knob on the far neck is a master volume, the near knob on the near neck is the tone control.

Here's the knob/switch/pickup arrangement:
DSCN0431s.JPG
Anyway, the pots have date codes from 2nd week of 1958. I have a sales receipt from March of 1960, so I know this instrument was made somewhere between those two dates.

The serial number is a bit strange though:
DSCN0418s.JPG
Does anyone know if this should be "2D" or "D2"? Or should it be something else entirely? I've heard serial numbers from the 50s are somewhat difficult, if not impossible to decode as to manufacturing date, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Re: Console 708 Wiring & Serial Numbers

Post by rshatz »

Sorry, I can't help with the S/n, but that is that is the most beautiful Rick console I've ever seen.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

rshatz wrote:Sorry, I can't help with the S/n, but that is that is the most beautiful Rick console I've ever seen.
Thanks! :mrgreen: I actually bought it primarily because of the wood (what can I say, I'm a certified grain & flame freak :oops: ), and secondarily because I've always liked the sound of 'em and thought it might be fun to learn how to play.

Here's another picture, for your viewing pleasure:
DSCN0423s.JPG
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

rshatz wrote:Sorry, I can't help with the S/n, but that is that is the most beautiful Rick console I've ever seen.
Just in case anyone is interested, there's one up on ebay right now that looks like a twin of mine. They have it listed as a 208, but since it's got 2 knobs for each pickup, I'm pretty sure it's a 708. Nice figuring on the wood too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-steel-console ... _500wt_896
ebay_steel.JPG
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Stunning, CJ. 208 vs. 708 would be an issue of scale length, with the 208 being short scale. I believe. Anyway, it looks like a long scale to me.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Mine's definitely a 708, 25" scale. In the RIC literature archive, 1957 catalog, the 700 series are shown with 2 knobs per pickup, while the 200 & 500 have only 1 knob. Of course, Rickenbacker is known to change things, so yeah, scale length is probably the only way to really know.

Back to the subject of wiring, I wonder what the setup would be for a 3 neck 700 series?

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”