RickenbacHer Electro lap steel - an A22??

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

karen-von

RickenbacHer Electro lap steel - an A22??

Post by karen-von »

Hello!
I'm trying to find out some information on a lap steel, frying pan Rickenbacher Electro guitar that I inherited from my father who purchased this instrument in Hawaii in the 1940s.
From my uneducated eye - and after doing some research on Rick's page - it looks to be an A22.
At the top of the instrument, there is a metal label which is stamped: Richenbacher "Electro" Los Angeles.
It has a 1 1/2 magnet horseshoe pickup, six strings, a knob just above the magnet, and a knob on the side of the guitar (around the 1pm/2pm position).
It is all metal - don't know if it is steel or something else.
Looks to be in an original case (which is in solid/functional condition- but not mint/original condition), the accompanying cord is frayed in one place where it joins a plug - it comes with two types of metal slides, and two metal picks (marked "National" with patent #s on them).

My goal is to sell this instrument. I wish to find a new home for it (with someone who will appreciate it) and in the process, raise some much needed money to support my mother who is now in a nursing home.

Once I figure out how I can attach photos - I will include them (please bear with me - this is my first forum experience - but I'm sure I'll soon figure this out).

Many thanks in advance to anyone willing to help guide me in my quest.
karen-von
Last edited by karen-von on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karen-von

Re: RickenbacHer Electro lap steel - an A22??

Post by karen-von »

I think I've figured out how to upload pictures...
Attachments
P8210836.JPG
P8210832.JPG
P8210831.JPG
P8210827.JPG
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Nice guitar, Karen. Good luck with the sale.
JimK
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Karen, welcome. There are a number of A-22 models on the Register. Some of them were sold on ebay and sale prices are listed.

Here you go: http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... celebrity=
karen-von

Post by karen-von »

Gentlemen -
Thanks for the warm welcomes! Thanks, too, for the link directing me to recent sale prices for A-22s.
I'm still unsure if this is actually an A-22 - as the pics of instruments on the registry don't seem to show the knob on the right side (at the 1pm position).
Would greatly welcome some help figuring this out!
Thanks all - karen-von
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Welcome to the forum!

I'm no expert on these old Rick lap steels, but from what I've read, the A22 models had some variation over the years as to the knobs and such. From one of your photos, it looks like the scale length (distance from nut to bridge) is a bit over 22 inches, probably 22 1/2 inches, which would be right for an A22 (the A25 was 25 inches I believe). These were made of cast aluminum.

Richard's the real expert on these, he'll be along eventually, probably just busy. You might try sending him a PM (Private Message) or E-mail. The links are under the "CONTACT" area in the following link:
rshatz info
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Beautiful prewar frypan.
Measure the distance from the nut to the bridge to determine A22 or A25.
There should be a serial number imprinted on the top of the headstock. It would be interesting to know what it is.
It looks to be early 40s from the "flying saucer" controls knobs if they are original.
I've never seen one of these with what is probably an added tone pot in that position.
karen-von

Post by karen-von »

Thanks Richard!
I've taken a couple additional pictures - to show detail of the controls as well as the serial # (I think there are 3 #s - 21 are clear - but hard to make out the last one....9 maybe?).
Using your direction, I come up with 22" on the money - so I must have an A22.
The finish isn't perfect - but I'm assuming I should not bother with any cleaning as that might affect its value.
But if there is something I should/could do to "spiff" it up - I welcome your suggestions.
I really appreciate all the great help I've received since joining the RickResource Forum.
Attachments
P8250840.JPG
P8250827.JPG
karen-von

Post by karen-von »

As a follow-up to interest expressed about this guitar on a related thread (Case for Pre-War Rick Steel Lap Top), I thought I'd share that I took this ricky to a local expert here in Virginia to have it checked out.
The owner hooked it up to a Blackface Princeton Amp and loved the resulting tone and pick-up.
He was amazed that the instrument was still in tune (as it hadn't been touched since my father last put it back in its case).
He really liked the original finish - which had not been tampered with - as well as all the original aspects of the piece - including the celluloid tuning pegs which are all still intact.
The only negative - which wasn't a big one - was that the side tone pot was a bit scratchy when being adjusted.
It did sound amazing - especially in the hands of those who gave it a "test drive" in the shop.
Almost made me not want to sell it - but, alas, I can't play - and it would be a true shame to not let it do what it obviously does so very well.
Karen-von
karen-von

Post by karen-von »

Oh - forgot to include that the top, white knob has a small crack in it - but it is still intact and functional.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”