What is it?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

k_jupiter

What is it?

Post by k_jupiter »

Local shop has what is advertised as a 1939 Model 59. It's light gray with a very small lighter sunburst pattern in the middle. Not like the models shown here on the forum that look almost black with a light sunburst covering most of the guitar. The finger spots seem hand painted. There is no serial number on the body (perhaps inside?), it has a 1 1/4 pickup (inside a larger opening so perhaps not original?) with a standard nameplate at the top of the peghead (Richenbacher (I think) Electro, Los Angeles, RE). Two knobs, same side, black plastic.

One fret (about halfway down) is corroded under the second and third string down. Does this affect sound capabilities of the guitar?

Asking price is a little over 300 bucks with no case. Does this sound reasonable assuming the pickups work and the pots are in good shape? This will be my first lapsteel.

t
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Re: What is it?

Post by rshatz »

If it has a1 1/4" pickup, ti's a postwar Model S/NS.
k_jupiter wrote:Asking price is a little over 300 bucks with no case. Does this sound reasonable assuming the pickups work and the pots are in good shape? This will be my first lapsteel.
$300 for a working Rick lap steel of almost any vintage?
k_jupiter

Post by k_jupiter »

So you say "Grab it?"

t
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

If you like the way it sounds for the kind of music you play and it's fairly original, it's a bargain,
I mean how much cheaper can a working vintage instrument get for a player?
If it's not in near mint condition, it's not of any interest to most collectors.
k_jupiter

Post by k_jupiter »

I did. Grab it that is.

It still looks like a late 40's lapsteel. The color is wrong for the gray 1939 model. it has a much more subtle flame gray to a bit darker gray. The label at the top is not cast. There are scrape marks on the back (which I assume destroy it's collectible value). It plays nice (with my non-existent talents in that area) but the volume control works without scratches, the knobs might not be original. I haven't figured out what the second knob does.

I have hooked it up to a small Fender 25 watt Frontsman amp. I bought the DVD set and the book on C6 tuning, a vibration tuner, and found a new GF who plays a stratocaster who at least can work me through tab notation.

Pictures later. Any idea where a serial number would be? None on the body that I can see.

tim in san jose
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Postwar Rick lap steels didn't have serial numbers until the mid 50s.
Enjoy
k_jupiter

Post by k_jupiter »

Thank you very much. I am enjoying it. Do you know what the second knob does on the body (besides nothing on mine)?

tim in san jose
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

k_jupiter wrote:Thank you very much. I am enjoying it. Do you know what the second knob does on the body (besides nothing on mine)?

tim in san jose
The two knobs are volume and tone. You may have a problem with the tone pot or someone disabled it.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”