Silver Hawaiian - New to forum

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Rob Allingham

Silver Hawaiian - New to forum

Post by Rob Allingham »

I am a very lucky guy.

Two weeks ago I found a Rickey steel languishing in a pawn shop and knew I had to have it. I'm almost embarrassed to admit to this group that I paid only $200 for an instrument I would have to say rates at least a 7 out of 10 for a collector. The pawn ticket says the previous owner was loaned $225 on it in 1993 - and it's been sitting in the attic unclaimed since then, until I walked in looking for "anything with stings on it."

I want to make this an everyday player, so I'll be back here frequently for your good advice. I've learned a lot here already.

Here's what I've been able to find out so far:

I believe it's a 1939 NS 100 Silver Hawaiian. All chrome, two knobs on the audience side, one black, one white. Output jack on the player's side. Black bakelite for the nut and bridge. Not sure exactly how to measure the scale length, but it's 22 1/2" from nut to bridge. It has the "H" in the label on the headstock, Serial Number D1237. Horseshoe pickup (very LOUD!) with Patent Number 2089171 on the adjustment plates.

As for condition, I'm pretty sure it's all original. The only real flaw is that the buttons are missing from the tuners. I can't tell if the volume and tone pots are working - although the white one has a little "scratch" in it when turned vigorously, so I know it's connected somehow. The overall finish is brilliant and shiny - no pitting or corrosion, one extremely small ding on the back. As far as I can tell, it's not stuffed with newspaper - it sounds hollow when I tap on the body and neck. The case appears original, too - but it's pretty rough. Half the leather handle is gone and the top has separated from the side on the hinge edge. The covering (leather? tolex?) is in fair shape and the lining is more of a flat, stiff felt fabric rather than plush. I hope to have some pictures before too long.-

I'm sure I will have many questions concerning restoration and setup, but I'll start with some basics.

>>Should I replace the tuners (open gear, 3-on a strip) or just try to put some new buttons on them? What make of tuner would be appropriate? Do you know of a good source for the parts?

>>What gauge strings would you recommend? I'd like to try the C6 tuning first - after all, it >is< a Hawaiian!

>>I read somewhere that the magnets on the horseshoe can be refreshed or re-energized. How do you know when it's time to do that? Could a weak magnet have something to do with the lack of response from the tone pots?

Sorry for the long post and hanks in advance for your reply. I'm really looking forward to learning to play this pretty little thing.

Rob Allingham
Sacramento CA
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Re: Silver Hawaiian - New to forum

Post by rshatz »

Congratulations on a great acquisition. You stole it, man.

>>Should I replace the tuners (open gear, 3-on a strip) or just try to put some new buttons on them? What make of tuner would be appropriate? Do you know of a good source for the parts?
Just replace the buttons. stewmac.com

>>What gauge strings would you recommend? I'd like to try the C6 tuning first - after all, it >is< a Hawaiian!

1. E .014
2. C .017
3. A .020 wound
4. G .024
5. E .030
6. C .036

You might want to try open A
1. E
2. C#
3. A
4. E
5. A
6. E

>>I read somewhere that the magnets on the horseshoe can be refreshed or re-energized. How do you know when it's time to do that? Could a weak magnet have something to do with the lack of response from the tone pots?

If the pickup is loud the the magnets are fine. Try spraying the pots to clean them up. They may need to be replaced.

Good luck.
Rob Allingham

Post by Rob Allingham »

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll be looking for the new tuner buttons this week.

Once I get those on and restrung, the next question will be setup and intonation. Since the metal neck can't be adjusted, I assume it will all be about positioning the pickup height. Any guidelines here?

Cheers -
Rob
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Welcome, Rob! :D

I have a feeling intonation is more about your playing abilities. :wink:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Excellent! Please post pictures, and welcome!

I think if you can get the string to sit halfway between the center part of the pickup (bobbin?) and the top of the shoe, it's just fine.

You may want the string a tad higher if pressing down on the strings to play causes undesired contact with the bobbin.

Also, it's pretty easy (I think, I have a '38 in tan crinkle finish) to remove the pickup assembly and see if there's newspaper. I was sold mine as a '39 but found early '38 newspaper inside and am totally comfortable dating it as such! :)

I know very little about lap steels, so it's entirely possible I've given incorrect or incomplete info... Richard S. here is the expert and can confirm or deny.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

From the title of the post I was expecting to hear from an older person from Hawaii. Welcome Rob. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Rob,
There isn't any real setup for this or any lap steel.
String it. Then use the height adjustment nuts on either side of the pickup to equalize volume between the bass and treble sides. Most of these pickups are really hot so you don't have to get the strings too close to the poles.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”