johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Opinions?

Post by johnallg »

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Opinions?

Post by jingle_jangle »

I'm suspicious about that American Flag decal on the back. It implies "Made in USA" although I can't read what it actually says.

The parts are Chinese, and I would wonder how something could be built in USA with any sort of profit margin and RETAIL at $140.00.

Aside from that, it looks like a good value for money regardless of where it's assembled.

Rondo Music has a sketchy reputation in terms of delivery times and shipping costs, so be aware.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jingle_jangle wrote:I'm suspicious about that American Flag decal on the back. It implies "Made in USA" although I can't read what it actually says.

The parts are Chinese, and I would wonder how something could be built in USA with any sort of profit margin and RETAIL at $140.00.

Aside from that, it looks like a good value for money regardless of where it's assembled.

Rondo Music has a sketchy reputation in terms of delivery times and shipping costs, so be aware.
I'd be amazed if it was made anywhere BUT in China. Rondo has a fantastic reputation for service and delivery on Talkbass. I have an SX Jazz that is nicer than any of the Squire basses and almost beats the MIM Fenders. I'd be really ionterested in hearing one of these played by someone who really knows how to play. Oh, and I do not understand the USA flag sticker either.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Thanks, John. I've heard about Rondo from others who've ordered online and not had the great service that you mention. Maybe bass players get better service? :mrgreen:

I am impressed with how much you get for $140.00 with those steels! Looks like a nice instrument for beginners and non-demanding pros, too.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jingle_jangle wrote:Maybe bass players get better service? :mrgreen:
That's a given. :mrgreen:
77jordan

Post by 77jordan »

it looks ok (in the negative sense) in my opinion. Would have to feel and hear it. P90s I don't think would be my thing in a lap steel. Is that a P90?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

77jordan wrote:it looks ok (in the negative sense) in my opinion. Would have to feel and hear it. P90s I don't think would be my thing in a lap steel. Is that a P90?
Well, a Chinese copy P90 style.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

There was a string on another forum that deals exclusively with steel guitars. (We're not allowed to mention the names of other sites.)
The reviews were quite positive, definitely worth the price, especially with a hard case.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I thought we could mention them, just no links to them. :?
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

Is that string height normal for a lap guitar?
Rickenbacker player since 1978
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

johnnysain wrote:Is that string height normal for a lap guitar?
Yep!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

jps wrote:I thought we could mention them, just no links to them. :?
That's correct...........the only prohibition involved is that we must not post links to other forums. Mentioning another forum by name is fair game.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Steel Guitar Forum
Search for Rondo SX
r-gordon-7

Post by r-gordon-7 »

I've purchased a number of guitars from Rondo over the last few years - including this Rondo SX1 Lap - and I've never been anything but very pleased. None of 'em ever came w/an American flag sticker - and I'd be quite surprised if any came from anywhere other than Asia, but the design, fit & finish, playability, sound, and especially value have all been very, very good... Rondo's customer service, in my experience, has been excellent as well (guitars & basses :wink: :lol: ).

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”