Dating this A-22

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jameshenry

Dating this A-22

Post by jameshenry »

I've had this wonderful instrument since the late 60's and it's sat in my closet prettty much until just recently.
I find conflicting dating information on these old guitars perhaps someone out there can assist.
I would be thrilled to post pictures of the guitar if someone would tell me how to do so. Thanks!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Dating this A-22

Post by cjj »

Pictures are always a great help.

To post them, look below the text entry box when posting/replying. There are a couple of tabs, "Options" and "Upload attachment". Click on the "Upload" tab.

Then click the "Choose File" button and navigate to a picture on your computer, clicking the "Open" button on the file window. After you've selected a file, click the "Add the file" button.

Then you can just hit "Submit" and the file(s) (up to 4 per post) will be included at the end. You can also use the "Place inline" feature to put text around them.

Files can't be too big, 1200x1200 I think...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

There is usually a serial number on top of the headstock or inside the top of the headstock.
While not at all reliable in dating the instrument precisely, it might help with chronology.
If the instrument is original, detailed photos will be of great help in approximating the period of production.
jameshenry

Post by jameshenry »

Here are some pictures which will hopefully assist in figuring out just what year this old piece of history might be.....
I've had folks tell me it has to be 50's and I've had folks tell me for sure 30's. I guess it doesn't make that much difference as the guitar sounds pretty
good to me.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Attachments
DSC01027.JPG
DSC01025.JPG
DSC01022.JPG
DSC01021.JPG
jameshenry

Post by jameshenry »

Here are a few more pics.

On another note when these were purchased used in the mid 60's an amplifier was included. It is the same in appearance as a much earlier post I've viewed on this site.
It was Mike Rhodes "Honey Pie".
Mine appears to be identical to that one but not in as nice a shape sadly. One good note is that it does work.
I'll post pics of the amp as soon as I can in the amp section of the forums.

Thanks again everyone!
Attachments
DSC01026.JPG
DSC01024.JPG
DSC01023.JPG
DSC01020.JPG
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Definitely postwar.
1940s-50s.
Very rare.
The only way I know to approximate the production date is the pot code.
jameshenry

Post by jameshenry »

So did Rickenbacker use the spelling "Rickenbacher" in the 40's-50's? I was under the impression that the spelling had changed prior to that.

The pot code which is in blue reads as follows:

CM10965

I need a knob for the tone control as it is missing.
If anyone knows where I could come by one please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve Cummings
Attachments
DSC01036.JPG
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jameshenry wrote:So did Rickenbacker use the spelling "Rickenbacher" in the 40's-50's? I was under the impression that the spelling had changed prior to that.
Well, I know they still stuck decals on with that spelling as late at 1958. Here's the one on my 1958 Model 708:
DSCN0416s.JPG
Of course, the main name plate has the other spelling:
Nameplate.JPG
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

The name was officially changed in the mid 40s, but I have seen decal logos with the "h" spelling on lap steels produce in the mid to late 50s.
The pot code 140313 indicated that the pot was made by Clarostat in the 13th week of 1953.
So your pan must have been made sometime after that, but probably not much more than a year.
jameshenry

Uh-oh.... Now what am I to do???

Post by jameshenry »

I took my A-22 for my first lesson with Reece Anderson and it turns out the tuning key for the string closest to me will not hold the string in tune it just gives up.
I don't want to screw up and devalue a historically significant guitar such as this and don't have a clue where to begin to find a suitable replacement.
I'm hoping someone knowledgable in historic instruments can guide me in the best way to have this A-22 be a player and not ruin its value.
help.....

PS: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL and here's hoping for PEACE ON EARTH.....
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

From the photo of the tuners above, those don't appear to be original.
You can see some screw holes that aren't being used.
I think most of these used three inline on a plate and those were replaced with individual tuners, which needed to have new drill holes to make them work.
Because of that the collectible value is diminished somewhat, but it also means that you should be able to find period correct used replacements or reproductions.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guit ... uners.html
These will probably work well, but check the specs of these against yours first.
Good luck.
Let us know how it turns out.
jameshenry

Post by jameshenry »

I'll give that a try. Thanks!
Nightbrigade

Post by Nightbrigade »

i bet that thing has a really cool sound.
jameshenry

Post by jameshenry »

Oh man yeah! Thru the Fender blues deluxe or the old twin. Some things in life are just plain cool......
jameshenry

Post by jameshenry »

The tuners I got from stewart macdonald have worked out well. I got 3 on a slab for each side I think they were called the golden restoration turners or something like that.
They had black butterbean knobs so it looks great with the black fretboard. For the missing knob I took one off of an old stomp box compressor pedal that had a rubber grip around it so it is eazee to turn with your little finger. It got me thru my first half dozen or so lessons then I found a good deal on a pedal steel that I've been wanting so I can get full benefit of my instructors knowledge but I'm quite sure I'll continue to play little Ricky often. I really do love the sound of the pickup plus the instrument is just one of those that you realize when you play it, it's alive. I've played lots of guitars in my years and few have that alive feeling, this is one of those. I'm feel very fortunate indeed.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”