rshatz
RRF Consultant

Very Rare Bird

Post by rshatz »

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Very Rare Bird

Post by johnallg »

First I've ever seen one of these. I wonder what the 3-2 rivets hold between the board and the pickup?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Those are position markers extending the "fingerboard" to the third octave.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

That's nice. I wish I had spent some time learning to play one when I was younger.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:Those are position markers extending the "fingerboard" to the third octave.
Ahhh, see, I was thinking too technical. :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

But, in addition to that, they hold the Flux Capacitor in place. Happy, now? :mrgreen:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

:lol: :lol: :lol: [shaking head]
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

I remember seeing this same model, only in mint condition, at Island Guitars near Ala Moana mall in Honolulu, back in 1988. At first I thought it was a Silver Hawaiian, but then Jim Danz, the shop owner, told me it was a Model G that was made in the '50s. I seem to recall that the knobs on this particular lapsteel were clear Gibson style speed knobs, different from the "flying saucers", also there was some gold plating in contrast to the nickel, probably the headstock tuner cover, and maybe a few other detail parts. They wanted around $700. for it.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

The headstock tuner cover is kinda cool!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

radioactive wrote:I remember seeing this same model, only in mint condition, at Island Guitars near Ala Moana mall in Honolulu, back in 1988. At first I thought it was a Silver Hawaiian, but then Jim Danz, the shop owner, told me it was a Model G that was made in the '50s. I seem to recall that the knobs on this particular lapsteel were clear Gibson style speed knobs, different from the "flying saucers", also there was some gold plating in contrast to the nickel, probably the headstock tuner cover, and maybe a few other detail parts. They wanted around $700. for it.
I'm pretty sure I bought mine from Island Guitars about 15 years ago.

There's a mediocre photo of it on The Rickenbacker Registration Page. It's such a gorgeous instrument. I really should submit a better photo.

http://www.rickresource.com/main/
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

It could very well be the same instrument, Richard. I lived on The Big Island from 1986 thru 1992, and used to visit Island Guitars every time I had to fly to Oahu for business, I'm fairly certain that it was there when we moved to the mainland in '92.There were quite a few Bakelites that turned up over on the Hilo side of
Hawaii, I still have one, a pre-war 2 knob.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”