An unusual console steel

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

nmiller

An unusual console steel

Post by nmiller »

I just purchased this steel and it sounds fantastic. However, after looking it over, I'm not sure about its identity. It's closest to a model 208, but doesn't exactly match any other steel I've managed to find. I've noticed a series of features suggesting that this might be a very early 208 or even a prototype; unfortunately, the pot codes are nearly unreadable due to solder and oxidation. I'm not very knowledgeable about Rics, so please do correct me if any of these are actually mundane.

First, there is no serial number anywhere. Second, there is barely 1/4" difference in height between the two necks, which appears to be less than the difference on any other Ric steel I've seen. Also, there is no bevel on the edge of the upper neck; this, too, seems to be unique for Ric steels without metal trim. Third, the steel has a factory setup for either three or four legs (it came with four, which appear to be original). Fourth, it appears that no nameplate was ever attached to the instrument, and there's no evidence of paint or a decal either. Finally, while I've noticed a variety of bridge/tailpiece combinations over the '50s and '60s, I've never seen another wood-body Ric console with strings that go through the body.

Can anyone make better sense of this?

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
8mileshigher

An unusual console steel

Post by 8mileshigher »

nmiller wrote:Fourth, it appears that no nameplate was ever attached to the instrument, and there's no evidence of paint or a decal either.
That's too bad that there is no nameplate of other identification of Rickenbacker or Electro String company on this console steel. :( Otherwise, it looks llike it is in fairly good shape.
nmiller

Re: An unusual console steel

Post by nmiller »

It appears to be constructed entirely of Rickenbacker parts, so I'd be very surprised if it weren't a genuine Rick of some kind. One of the tuner covers appears to have been replaced, though, as it has a satin finish (probably bare stainless steel). Were all the nameplates nailed on like this one, rather than glued? I ask because I don't see any nail or screw holes.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I'm 95% sure it's genuine--did it come with a Rick hard case? Case should be rectangular, with clips in lid to store legs. Gray oilcloth cover, black leather ends, red plush lining. Is the serial number stamped on the wood on the underside or is it on the jackplate?

It's oddly built compared to other 200 series I've seen--seems to be slab wood instead of case-type construction.

If number is stamped on the bottom wood in appx. 3/8" high letters, it's pre-1960. If it's on the jackplate in tiny characters, it's 1960 and after.

Lastly, a 22.5" scale would make it a 200 series.
nmiller

Post by nmiller »

Actually, there's no serial number at all. The scale is 22.5".

The case is not silver; it's an older, '40s- or early '50s-style brown case with a blue plush interior and a plastic handle. The guitar rests on a 2-piece "floor" that can be removed to store the legs underneath. The case fits the steel quite well, so I think it was specifically designed for the instrument. I'll take a pic this evening.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, I am by no means a 200 series expert, but I do own a couple of 700 series steels and the construction is similar.

My guess? This is something built from original 200 series parts on a non-original slab type body. The legs and look like originals, as do the tuners/pans/covers, fretboards, pickups and surrounds.

As Paul mentioned, this looks like it's made from slabs of wood rather than being a wood box. You can see the box type construction where the ends are a separate piece of wood here and in some of the following pictures:

The plate where the knobs and switches are doesn't really look right though. I've never seen one where the metal is folded over the end like that. The bridge doesn't look quite right either. These have bridges that look almost identical to my '58 708:
Here's a 1959 206:
And a '76:

All Rick console steels I've ever seen (admittedly it's not a lot) have individual leg sockets for each leg:

These 200 series pictures are pretty similar to my 700's in construction, so you'd think they would be fairly similar throughout the production...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

From the latest info from Noah, I'm still leaning toward genuine Ric, but earlier than mid-'50s. Blue plush case lining, no serial # (???)...maybe somebody rebodied it in fresh wood to original style. Easier to use slabs of wood than do complicated joinery.

Here's my walnut 206; a '57 by my reckoning:

8mileshigher

An unusual console steel

Post by 8mileshigher »

Paul and CJ --- those are some mighty fine looking Rickenbacker console Steels !!!!! 8) :D
Going to have to add one of those to my Ric wish list sometime !!!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I somehow missed Noah's last post. I tried looking at the RIC literature archives, which are a bit spotty back in those days, just 1953, 55, 57, & 58. There doesn't seem to be any mention of the 200 series before 1956, and the picture there shows metal edging all around, same for 1957, which obviously wasn't always the case. By 1958 they seem to have moved the steels to a separate catalog.

But of course, as we all know, never say, "never" when talking about Rickenbackers...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
nmiller

Post by nmiller »

My steel is indeed made of solid slabs of maple; I didn't realize that most Rics had this box-style construction. I have seen Rics with these leg sockets (here's a '56 DW-16), but the 3 or 4 leg option is pretty odd. The bridges appear to have been made by the same person(s) who made the nuts, as the string notches have the same triangular profile and the metal has oxidized similarly. My thinking was that the bent control plates were a holdover from late '40s and early '50s models.

I still could be persuaded that someone built a homemade body and stuck Rick parts on it; if so, they had the ability to chrome-plate custom metal parts, and they were pretty adept at guitar construction in general.

Here are pics of the case:

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yes, I was thinking that the leg sockets looked like those off of a DW. Of course, that doesn't mean that RIC didn't build yours that way, like I said, never say "never" since RIC is known to change how things are done from time to time.

As for plating, that's easy. Just take your parts to a plating shop and the job is done. It would be a fairly simple matter to take a rectangular piece of steel, drill a few holes in it, bend it and get it plated. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't made in the factory...
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I believe that the plated, bent metal parts are RIC, too.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”