Bronson Melody King - tuners

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ralphcz

Bronson Melody King - tuners

Post by ralphcz »

I'm a first time poster here. Recently, I was able to purchase this beautiful near-mint Bronson, which is actually a Rickenbacker B6 (and sounds better than my 1946 panda). From the headstock (with cover), I would guess it's early 50's. Based on the condition of the guitar and case, it must have been in someone's closet for 50 years. One potential problem is that some of the tuners slip a bit. I've done some research on various forums, without much enlightenment, regarding replacement of the Ricky tuners. I contacted StewMac, and they weren't very helpful. Has anyone had success in finding new tuners to fit a B6, whether by finding 3 on a strip or using individual units? Add to the issue the fact that the hardware on the guitar is a gold color, while all of the B6's I've seen have silver/nickel-type look. Thanks,

Ralph
Attachments
Bronson Melody King4a.jpg
Bronson Melody King3a.jpg
Bronson Melody King1a.jpg
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Bronson Melody King - tuners

Post by jingle_jangle »

That is CLEEEEEEN.

Can you measure the post-to-post distance on this steel?
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

I had one of those with the matching amp that was made by Valco.
I loved both.
It's identical to the BD-6.
http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/ ... t=eae0.jpg
3/side strip Kluson tuners with metal buttons. Gold color is the problem.
Although I haven't tried this myself, I've been led to believe the machines can be rebuilt with parts from new Klusons.
I'm not sure about this, but it might be worth careful disassembly and inspection,
ralphcz

Post by ralphcz »

Richard - Of course, you're right that it's the same as a BD6. Those tuners are likely Klusons: they say "N DELUXE" and are 1 3/8" spacing between the posts. Following an intense Google search, I've seen Kluson replacements in nickel finish by some recognized manufacturers (Waverly, Gotoh, etc.), but finding them on a gold color is tough. I did see a set offered by a Canadian vendor on eBay, Choppers Music (?), for $24.67 for the set, which sounds awfully cheap. I haven't been able to find out much about these tuners, or Choppers Music. I don't want to be substituting no-name tuners I don't have confidence in...I guess I'll contact the Choppers folks and see what they can tell me...Ralph
Attachments
STRIPTUNERGD.jpg
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

If the post diameter is correct, I'd go for it.
Save the originals.
ralphcz

Post by ralphcz »

For anyone wondering about replacing tuners on a Rickenbacker BD6, here's an update regarding my quest to replace the tuners on my Melody King (same as the BD6). The no-name tuners I order from Choppers turned out to be a nonstarter. However, after doing some more research, I was able to order a set of TonePros TPKR3 tuners in a gold color (which they originally said they don't make!). These tuners had the right spacing and the screw holes were verrrry close to being spot on. The only issue to be dealt with was the fact that the new tuners have a "collar" which is about 1/2" deep, meaning that the holes in the headstock had to be countersunk to allow for the wider collar. I wasn't about to mess with drilling out bakelite, so my guitar tech wizard, Bill Baker of Dave's Sound, in Whippany, NJ, was able to do the required work. Now this beauty sounds great and stays in tune! I've attached a couple of photos for reference.
Headstock Back1a.jpg
TonePro Kluson1a.jpg
DSC_1857a.jpg
DSC_1858a.jpg
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Thanks for the update.
Now all you need is the gold buttons.
ralphcz

Post by ralphcz »

Richard - I looked into that, and according to the TonePros Kluson rep that I spoke with, it would be very difficult. Thought about replacing the volume and tone knobs and went so far as to purchase blond "cupcake" knobs, which were jarring against all that brown (should've been called "Brownson"). I finally concluded/rationalized that the tuner buttons match the fret markers nicely so, to paraphrase the song, there'll be no more changes made...Thanks for your help. Ralph

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”