Steel Your Heart

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

8mileshigher

Steel Your Heart

Post by 8mileshigher »

I'm the newest member of the Ric console steel club !! :D

Picked this 50 year old up this morning... the seller said it was a '61. I understand it is a Jerry Byrd model but issued before his name was inscribed in the Rickenbacker nameplate. It is in remarkable good shape.... must have spent the last 40 some years in the back closet. Its got the real Horseshoe pickup !!! 8) The maple wood is just pristine and the silver case has no rust or problems.

One of those similar situations as I've lucked out on in the past, where I had kept open the communications channel with a Craigs List seller. He had originally listed this for sale back before SCARF in early August. We had some exchanges and I assumed he had sold it and then he e-mailed me on Monday this week - and we worked things out.

Does anyone know how to find out its actual date of manufacture from its four digit serial number ? When I showed it to Paulie this afternoon, he entered the serial number onto the company website decoder and it came up with a not recognizing the serial number. :roll:
Attachments
Jerry Byrd 6 c.jpg
Jerry Byrd 4 c.jpg
Jerry Byrd 1 c.jpg
8mileshigher

Steel Your Heart

Post by 8mileshigher »

A couple more pictures of this Byrd ....
Attachments
Jerry Byrd 5 c.jpg
Jerry Byrd 7 c.jpg
Jerry Byrd 2 c.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Steel Your Heart

Post by jps »

Nice, Rich. 8) Do you know what to do with all those strings? :shock: :wink:

I have a pickup I can trade for that old thing you have on that steel. :wink: :mrgreen:
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Wow! I expect to see that at the next jam! *learns Sleepwalk on bass...*
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Ten gallon hat, or lei, sold separately. :D ;)

It's super cool! :D Congrats, Rich!
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Sweet! Congrats on the new steel!
:D

So, what's the serial? You can also pull the cover and look at the codes on the pots, it's not too likely that they have been replaced.

I know they were a bit strange back in those days. I've got a '58 steel that starts with D8, the 8 meaning 1958, pot codes are from early 1958. My 1960 Console 768 starts with JL, which according to some sources makes it a Dec 1970, but the pots (and the RIC decoder) say it's Dec 1960.
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

According to Gruhn's Guide it's a model CW-8, 1957-61. It was available in 22 1/2" and 25" scale lengths and 6, 7, 8 and 10-strings.
The 22 1/2" model was renamed the Jerry Byrd model 1961.
8mileshigher

Steel Your Heart

Post by 8mileshigher »

cjj wrote:Sweet! Congrats on the new steel!
:D

So, what's the serial? You can also pull the cover and look at the codes on the pots, it's not too likely that they have been replaced.

I know they were a bit strange back in those days. I've got a '58 steel that starts with D8, the 8 meaning 1958, pot codes are from early 1958. My 1960 Console 768 starts with JL, which according to some sources makes it a Dec 1970, but the pots (and the RIC decoder) say it's Dec 1960.

Thanks CJ --- the serial number on this one is just four numbers stamped in the wood frame. It is not part of the jack like on "conventional" Ric guitars. In fact the jack does not have any plate - its just the plug receptacle by itself :? I'll try and get a picture of this.... I'd be curious to see what the serial numbers (and placement of same) look like on other early 60s steels of other Forum members.
rshatz wrote:According to Gruhn's Guide it's a model CW-8, 1957-61. It was available in 22 1/2" and 25" scale lengths and 6, 7, 8 and 10-strings.
The 22 1/2" model was renamed the Jerry Byrd model 1961.
Thanks for the details, Rich.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

jps wrote:Nice, Rich. 8) Do you know what to do with all those strings? :shock: :wink:
Thanks, Jeff !
I'll have to get one of those cartoon-character gloves that morphs and multiplies the fingers, in order to pick all those strings ! :lol: :lol:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I think it's pre-'60. My '57 has the serial number stamped in the bottom wood, my '60s both have jackplate numbers.

The case is the early oilcloth leatherette type, too, although I think those lasted for a number of years after the silver Tolex guitar cases came into use in 1960.

Best source: pot codes.
8mileshigher

Steel Your Heart

Post by 8mileshigher »

jingle_jangle wrote: The case is the early oilcloth leatherette type, too, although I think those lasted for a number of years after the silver Tolex guitar cases came into use in 1960.
Thanks, Paul for your serial number insights. On these old-style leatherette cases, what is your recommendation for a product to use for cleaning and protecting it ??
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Try a Mr. Clean Dry Cleaning Sponge, and go easy at first.

These oilcloth cases are old enough that they tend to absorb water instead of shedding it, so a damp or wet cleaning cloth might damage the finish.

Also, after it's clean, I'd avoid lacquering or shellacking the oilcloth--it darkens and embrittles it. A couple of light applications of Scotchgard spray will help it to shed dirt easier in the future.
8mileshigher

Steel Your Heart

Post by 8mileshigher »

Thanks for the recommendations, Paul.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

The serial number on my '58 is stamped into the wood, nothing on the jack plate:
DSCN0418s.JPG
After discussing this at length with John Hall, we decided that the "2" was a mistake and the serial number should start with a 'D", the "B" at the end is most likely for a Blond finish.

My '60 has the number on the jack plate, so if yours is stamped into the wood, Paul is probably right and it may be earlier than 1960. Both of mine have the gray oilcloth type cases...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
8mileshigher

Steel Your Heart

Post by 8mileshigher »

Here's the four digit serial number "7138" stamped in the wood and the plug receptacle.

Anyone have any clues ?
Attachments
EPSN9383 c.JPG

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”