paper stuffing????

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

marksquaredmark

paper stuffing????

Post by marksquaredmark »

Hello,
New to forum. Just picked up a 1938? model 59 serial #E1439. Two white knobs, one on each side. OK condition, non original tuners. Would like to know if it is worth it to search done originals. Also a couple weird things. First it has a couple of holes drilled all the way through at about the 12th fret on the outer bottom edge. ?? Also the whole inside was stuffed with shredded newspaper. What? :?: Should I re-stuff it, fire hazard? Any help would be great. Place to shop down parts. Thanks :D
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: paper stuffing????

Post by libratune »

Welcome to the forum!

Most model 59s were stuffed with newspaper. I believe it had something to do with the sonic quality, as they are basically a hollow stamped metal instrument. It's a good way to date them, if you get the paper out!

Don't know what's up with those two holes. Ventilation? :wink:

Here's an external link to some info re vintage Rickenbacker lapsteels: http://home.provide.net/~cfh/rick.html#ricklaps

Here are some model 59s to look at for comparison: http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... celebrity=
marksquaredmark

Post by marksquaredmark »

Thanks,
The newspaper was dated March 1939. A lot of it was is Spanish. I'll check out those sites right now.
Thanks
gbart14

Post by gbart14 »

Just purchased a Model G Deluxe steel body, gold plating. Had newspaper inside from Dec 8 1948. Also had a bunch of black junk that someone poured or injected into the back of the cavity. Anybody ever seen that?
Thanks

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”