Triple 8 production numbers?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

JeffU

Triple 8 production numbers?

Post by JeffU »

I have a circa 1960 Rickenbacker triple 8 console steel on its way, and am wondering what the production runs were for this instrument, as well as some of the history surrounding it. I have only seen one other such instrument online, which is listed as a '54.

Any insight into this guitar is appreciated!
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

I don't really have any first hand knowledge of Rickenbacker consoles, but Gruhn's book lists two possibilities for your instrument, the 500 series had 22 1/2" scales and were made from 1956-1971, and the 700 series had 25" scales and were made from 1957-1971. The models with 3, 8 string necks were the 518 and 758. I have no production numbers or quantities. Perhaps Mr. Hall could supply these.
JeffU

Post by JeffU »

Mine is a 518 in blonde.
JeffU

Post by JeffU »

That should be a 508 - it was listed as a 518, which would have had a ten string as the middle neck.
Jeff_U

Post by Jeff_U »

The instrument has arrived, and I can find no serial number on it anywhere. I see there is a 6/10 on ebay that has furniture like legs, where mine has telescoping chrome ones. The Ric catalogues I've looked at don't seem to show much variation in this model from 1955 to 1957. I am still very curious about production numbers and whether there would be any marking inside the instrument (which require pretty major disassembly/string removal) that would reveal its true age.

It sounds great!

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”