Strings for Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Strings for Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Post by admin »

Richard: I am wondering what type of strings you would recommend for Rickenbacker Lap Steels. I am reminded of the intonation problems with some strings and the short scale Rickenbacker guitars and suspect that the Lap Steel may have similar problems unless a specific string type is used.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Peter.
I use D'Addario Half Round Series II Jazz Medium Gauge. 0.013 1st thru 0.056 6th. They have a deep, fat sound,(no analogy to cholesterol intended), and are less noisy than round wound strings. I started using these when shortly after I began playing lap steel. At that time I used a flat steel tone bar (beginner style). Those things are noisy as they move along the strings. I found the half round strings far less noisy and they produced the sound that I liked. I now use a standard tone bar, which is very quiet, and continue to use the same strings.
Intonation problems on lap steel guitars are practically non-existent, as the tone bar is constantly moving to produce a tremolo. Of course that's just my opinion. Maybe I'm tone deaf.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”