Model B Machine Heads/Tuning Gears

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

anonymous

Model B Machine Heads/Tuning Gears

Post by anonymous »

I have a Model B Backelite Lap Steel (originally with White Plates) for which I am trying to locate anyone selling replacement tuners... either original or know of where to get replacement parts that fit.

I bought open backed gears from All Parts but the post is too wide for the holes in the Lap Steel...

Any Help Would be appreciated...
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Was your B6 made before or after WW2?
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

I believe it's around 46 (it has the T shaped plate on top for the logo)...
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Mike,
I have 2 post-war Rick Bakelite steels. One has closed back Kluson Deluxe machines, 3 inline. If yours is drilled for individual, try the Kluson reproductions.
Richard
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Okay... here's more info... It appears the tuning key string posts are somewhat of an odd size... i don't have a set of calipers or micrometer or whatever, but i think the posts are upposed to be 7/32" wide. 1/4" open backed Grover replacements don't fit and i think the Klusons are 1/4" as well. I'm real confused cause i see alot of these being sold with replacement tuners... why am i having such a hard time here??

Also, any info on dating this. Originally white panels, old spelling of "rickenbacher", T logo with Electro in the vertical and Rickenbacherin across the top...

I have had this about 6 months now and am dying to play it... AHHHH!!!Help!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Anyone who's got any knowledge of good aftermarket tuners for these speak up - I know someone (not me) who needs some replacements. Thanks!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I only see Kenny's posting info in this thread, is that right?
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Yes indeed. The other postings are reeeally ancient.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”