Bigsby B5 Modification to fit on a 350V63

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

herb

Bigsby B5 Modification to fit on a 350V63

Post by herb »

While it fits comfortably on a 325V59, a Bigsby B5 will not quite fit on a 350V63 due to the difference in neck length. On the longer scale 350V63, the pickups have more space between them and the bridge is therefore closer to the heel of the guitar. In the attached images, the top left pic is a 350V63 with a Bigsby added and the top right pic is a 325V59. You can see that there is ample space between the Bigsby and the bridge on the 325V59, whereas on the 350V63 they almost touch. I guess you can say the "slope" isn't long enough on the 350V63?

This topic has been discussed previously and a suggested fix was to grind off the forward Bigsby B5 protusion (containing the screw hole) then drill a new screw hole beneath the spring. This is where the mounting screw hole is located on Bigsby B12 vibratos. I have illustrated this on the attached image and have also shown a 1969 Fender Telecaster that came with a Bigsby that is quite similar to the B5, except the 4th mounting screw is under the spring as described above. So, it seems to make sense that a B5 Bigsby modified this way would enable it to be mounted on a 350V63. I would appreciate comments from the luthiers out there. Do you see any problems with doing this?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Herb Staehr's photos to accompany Bigsby B5 modification. Image
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
aladams

Post by aladams »

Heck, the "350V59" (or should be) looks better ANYWAY!!!! I'll buy it!!! Trying the mod for the Bigsby isno problem...I'm game!!! AL

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”