325 Problem child

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dashmatrix

325 Problem child

Post by dashmatrix »

Hey all. I have a more modern 325. 3 pickup 5 knob. It's really giving me fits, and I thought maybe somebody here might be able to offer some helpful advise. I'm ready to try anything !

The issue is (I think) the intonation. I got the Ric manual that says how to check the 12th fret harmonics...blah blah blah. Well I tune the string, check the 12th fret harmonics and it's dead on. Go down the fret board and the further you go down the more sharp it goes out? I don't under stand what the problem is. I've already got all the sliders all the way down. Still it's sharp as a tack.

I've read the string gauge suggestions. The best I could find string wise in my area was the .12 gauge. And those are almost like playing with aircraft arresting cables. I can't imagine going to bigger strings.
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

Fret, Flat, Forward

Intonation has to be done with fretted notes - you don't play harmonics do you?

If the fretted note is flat, the bridge needs to move forward (ie: closer to the neck). So, if your adjustable saddles are all the way back (towards the strap button) it is possible that you should consider a string guage change.

Many swear by heavier guage Pyramids "fixing" all of their intonation problems.

It is also possible that repositioning the bridge could help if you have exhausted all else.

I moved the bridge plate on one of my RICs and its fine now.
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

If you use 13 guage strings it should intone as it is. However, if you use 12's you may need to modify the holes in the bridge base so that it can be slid a little closer to the pickups. The adjustment in the bridge itself is sometimes not quite enough to intone the lighter strings on 325's. Ric has been producing the bases with elongated holes for a while now to assist with this.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

The 325C58 bridgeplate is moveable due to it's elongated holes...a good idea there..

Y'know, I bet this is why my 1967 950 won't tune up quite right; I think it has .10's or even .09's on it right now. Gonna try some .12's....

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”