John Fogerty's Model 325

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

John Fogerty's Model 325

Post by admin »

I have never seen Fogerty comment on the humbucking pickup in the bridge position of his 325. Does anyone know what or who gave him the idea?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Peter, I read his explanation once and it could be in the Guitar World magazine that had his Acme 325 as the centerfold. He said something like it was a young guys foolish idea to try and improve a stock guitar(or something like that!). Anyway, he left me with the impression that he was sorry he did it and liked the tone of the guitar better before the modification. If I can dig out that Guitar World magazine one of these days I'll give you the exact quote. I just need time to dig through the closet!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Larry: It may have been a young boys fantasy at at first but it would seem that many a classic CCR guitar riff was born out of that "foolish idea."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

I've never looked into this. Does anybody know at what point in time Fogerty added the humbucking pick-up to his 325?
joe_hardman

Post by joe_hardman »

Both Fogerty brothers played RIC guitars and if I am not mistaken, Tom purchsed the RIC 325 for John around the time John was released from the Army. After the first LP, John primarily played Gibson guitars (an ES-175 in the studio to record Proud Mary, Bad Moon Rising, etc. and Les Pauls after the 175 was stolen). Other than Suzie Q, I can not recall any other "top 40" CCR hits where John played his 325 in the recording studio. In fact, when I saw John perform live several years ago, Suzie Q was the only number he performed using a RIC (fireglo 1998 with B-5 Bigsby). The rest of the night he used various Les Pauls, Stratocasters, Telecaters and the baseball bat guitar. What a show!!! If you dig out the headphones and really listen to the first 3 or 4 CCR albums you will hear more of brother Tom playing a RIC than John.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Joe: I have not heard Fogerty's CD, "Premonition" but those who have claim it is outstanding. A number of re-recordings of CCR hits are on it. Somehow, I have a feeling that "Premonition" is worth getting.Your'll find some of John Fogerty's Rickenbackers here. For the sake of completeness, here is Tom Fogerty with his Rickenbacker 360.

joe_hardman

Post by joe_hardman »

Peter: The CD and the DVD are a must for any Fogerty fan and according to John "there's a bathroom on the right". I have had the good fortune to see some great live acts, including The Beatles, Byrds, Beach Boys, Jefferson Airplane, C.S.& N., Neil Young, Ray Davies, B.B. King, etc. and few could match the performance that John Fogerty gave the night we saw him.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Joe: You are quite right. I have purchased the CD and now the DVD of Premonition. This is one of the greatest performances I have ever seen. Forgerty still rocks and it is a primer on how to put on a good performance. Great exposure for Rickenbacker and for those who have the belief that you can't play lead with a 300 Series. Fogerty plays a beautiful model 1997 fireglo with a bigsby. The tonality is superb. He uses this Rickenbacker for "Suzie Q" and "I Put A Spell On You." I am amazed at his vocal quality, guitar playing and stage performance which is better than the first time around. He is very much like James Taylor in that he just seems to get better as the years go by.

newrider

Post by newrider »

I saw John Fogerty three times around 97-98, first in Charlotte with the Blue Moon Swamp Tour and then in Richmond Va with the Premonition tour and again in Portland,Or with the same premonition tour. All were fantastic, but the Portland show was arguably the best, and yeah he sang "bathroom on the right" and had a great time. He whipped out his 325 and the Kustom stack for Susie Q. Buy all means, if you're a Fogerty fan get Premonition and the concert DVD aint bad either. CCR has loomed large in my family. My son, who was 6 at the time watched the DVD and always wanted me to play the "first music video song" (Born on the Bayou) and my mother who is 75 listens to CCR a lot. My old high school band got back together for a reunion concert and the word was, if I was involved, there would be "a lot of Creedence". And there was.
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

FINALLY got my copy of the Premonition DVD, and it is every bit as good as I would have hoped.... I also noticed that one of the guys in his band plays a Ric quite a bit; it is either a 360 WB or a V64. Anyway, it's a great show, well worth seeing. I love how Fogerty smoothly disproves that silly notion that you can't play a good lead on a Ric!
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I saw the abbreviated version of the Premonition concert on PBS when it aired originally (as part of a membership drive) a few years back when I was still in San Diego. Actually, I saw a tape of it, as there was something else on TV that I usually watched at the same time. If I had watched the PBS broadcast live, I would have bid on a special promo they offered: a F***** St**t autographed by John, along with two tickets to the then-upcoming Premonition concert in San Diego, AND a pass to meet John in person. That package was offered to the highest bidder during part of the telecast, and I don't remember how much it went for, but I could have afforded it at the time and I would have bid on it.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
ken_james
Veteran RRF member

Post by ken_james »

The bass player was Bob Glaub on the live show, I don't know if he toured or not though.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”