Saddle height on a 325c64

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mgaharleysportster

Saddle height on a 325c64

Post by mgaharleysportster »

I recently bought a 325c64. I'm not very familiar with the Accent vibrato, especially those little rollers on the bridge. It seems that they are not all at the same height. Is the height adjustable individually? There is some string buzz on the lower E-string.
Thanks!
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

They follow the contour (radius) of the fretboard. You can't adjust them individually. If you have string buzz, you can adjust the truss rod, check the nut and adjust the height of the strings on the bass side by adjusting the bridge screws. You will find the answer somewhere in there....... ; )
mgaharleysportster

Thanks John, for your reply. I'll try your suggestions.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

This bridge is notorious for this, because of all the li'l parts. It can be replaced with a non-roller RIC bridge without affecting the action of the Accent or its tone.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
mgaharleysportster

Do you have to replace the bridge as a whole or can you just replace the saddles? Wouldn't using the tremelo damage the strings with a non-roller bridge?
Thanks.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Of course the saddles can be replaced separately. The problem is obtaining the parts, as they are not sold separately. As a matter of fact, the roller bridge is not listed as a replacement part.

Using the Accent, the strings cause a non-roller bridge to rock a tiny bit on its supports. For the full range of the accent, the whole assembly moves only about .5mm. I've had no problems with the Accent returning to pitch with this setup, either.

String wear is not a problem.

BTW, the Accent is a "vibrato", not a "tremelo".

Vibrato is a variation in pitch. Tremelo is a variation in amplitude.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
mgaharleysportster

You're so right. Thanks for the info. We learn everyday.
mgaharleysportster

I wonder why Rickenbacker just doesn't sell those guitars with better bridges. Of course, they are re-issues, but now you are forced (that is: when you want to play them and not just hang them on the wall) to replace the bridge for an extra $70.00. I've contacted Rickenbacker and they advised to replace the complete bridge. Saddles are not available separately! I'm curious if any of you still uses the "roller-bridge" and is happy with it.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

I wonder why Rickenbacker just doesn't sell those guitars with better bridges. Of course, they are re-issues . . .

I think you just answered your own question.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

It's nice when we can noodle through and answer our own questions.
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
mgaharleysportster

A bit easy, such a reaction. If the problem is well-known, why doesn't Rickenbacker sell 'normal' saddles to replace the roller-types, in stead of only a complete bridge?

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”