The Making of An f-hole

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

The Making of An f-hole

Post by admin »

In discussing the size, shape and orientation of f-holes in the 325 and Rose Morris models, the name of Dick Burke has been mentioned. I am reminded of his comments to Bacon and Day on page 40 of their classic The Rickenbacker Book, 1994. During their discussion of the Rose-Morris 300 Series Models, Bacon and Day comment "...Rickenbackers with f-holes were also sold in the US, referred to by Rickenbacker with an 'S' for 'Special' suffix (for example, 345S). As Dick Burke recalls:" Quote:It was the same instrument except for the f-hole - using the same jig. It was a simple job to change the f-hole in production, it just meant changing a few screws on the jig a putting in a new pattern.
I am hoping that Dick Burke will be able to make comment with regard to the number of patterns that were used.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Peter, you may have to email John Hall to see if he can provide you with Dick's snail mail address. I asked John If Dick was into computers a couple years ago, and John said he wasn't.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Further to my wondering about the shape, position and orientation of f-holes in Rickenbacker guitars I have put a few photos together along with some discussion. Your comments are invited. This is certainly meant to be a work in progress.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Good article Peter, let's all keep thinking on this. Another thing I've noticed about early
325's, there is two styles of 'scooped out area'
for the Kauffman or tailpiece(I'm not sure what the correct name is for that). I still own the '58 325 in your article 'f-holes in Rickenbacker guitars' and I used to own the '59 310 and the '61 325. The '58 and '59 have the smooth carved out area for the Kauffman, like Lennon's '58 had.
Look at that area on the '61 325 and you can see the 'sharp' carved out area. I had the guitars side by side and you could really see the difference but it shows pretty well in these photos. I also know of a '58 325 with the sharp scooped out area so it seems there were two types from the beginning. Perhaps it was the style of two different factory workers?

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”