One For The History Books?

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Fat Rodent (to use your formal title), yes I believe we did see this RM1996 appear on Ebay last year. It had also been for sale at Guitar Broker for quite some time proir. Looks like it's still sitting there too. This must be a bit of a problem guitar for them. Perhaps they're a little deeper into it than they should be.
fatcowboy

Post by fatcowboy »

whats the deal with the neck and headstock on that thing???
did someone put a completely different neck in it or just graft on a burns looking headstock????
seem like now i remember it going for around on Ebay 1500.00....I might be wrong but thats what I remember....
WHY did someone ruin it...I guess it was a fireglo???

FAtTyRatTy
anon

Post by anon »

The guitar approached $3000 on EBAY this past September, but the reserve was not met. It was posted twice- once saying that all the alterations were custom factory work, which is apparently what caused John Hall to contact them and tell them they were full of it. They took that auction down and replaced it with one saying that it was modified. Going into the auction the first time around, the Guitar Broker had been trying to sell it for $10,000.

I'm not sure what the value of it should really be. Think of it this way- how much would you pay for a '64 325 with 2 o'clock f-hole that had a broken off neck and a smashed in back? That is essentially the story, since you'd have to replace those parts.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Anon: I agree, its days as a collectable Rickenbacker are probably over, unless its history includes ownership by a famous performer.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
LONNY

Post by LONNY »

anyone have any idea what the neck and headstock are from or how it was put together???
why did some one screw with it, was the neck broken???
LON MOORE
LONNY

Post by LONNY »

that was cool of John Hall telling them to take that guitar off auction for telling folks that the guitar was a factory custom...

one thing that bugs me about a large company searching on an auction site, is when some one post a 70s Ibanez copy, John hall or his cronies contact Ebay to have it removed, now I see his side, but, come on....these guitars are not sold as REAL Rickenbackers, but as USED 20 year old Ibanez or whoever Rick copy guitars some dont even say that...most people in this day and age know a real Rickenbacker, there are books out that give enough info for even the average boob/green collector to figure out if its a Rick or not...not to mention that it is a auction you pays yo money and takes yo chances....if theyre too cheap to buy a guide they deserve it...but most sellers dont try to say that the fakes are real, most give the name brand, Ibanez, Aria, Hondo......
Plus the company has got so strick on selling nameplates that its not worth paying 50.00-75.00 for a used one, to put on a fake...if they want one that bad they will get it anyway, your not going to stop it...
By the way, no I didnt try to sell a fake, I wouldnt have one...who wants a bolt on neck Rick???
I just think its silly, for a guitar company as big as Rickenbacker to be sitting around fishing for fakes on Ebay....
I think the Real Ricks, that people put on Ebay try to pass off as original factory repairs and refins and stuff like that, are valid and noble thing to be doing, even though i cant help thinking that John Hall just wants to sell his new Rick 325c to the guys that bid on a fake or a renecked Real one, how would they afford the real thing if they are bidding on an Ibanez, but I would hope that he's looking out for Rick buyers??? Image Image
...shouldnt they be making that 325 thats been on order for 5 months instead of fishing????
No, I havent be waiting for a 325 for 5 months either....Im saving up so I can buy a used one on ebay 10 years from now.......

Being a trouble maker...
LON

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”