'66 325 for sale

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

manabu

'66 325 for sale

Post by manabu »

'66 Rickenbacker 325 refinished in Jegtglo is now on sale. it was mine for recent 10 years. all original except professional thin lacquer refinised. it has FA serial '66 January and all pots made in '65. Very nice guitar and who going to be a lucky owner for cool original 325?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Welcome, Manabu!

It's not quite original, but I'm sure it will generate lots of interest here!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Good to see you posting here Manabu! A couple years ago I enjoyed a visit to Japan thanks to Manabu. I got to play this rare 325 and can say it is a great one! Manabu took out his old price sheet(which I still have also) from Strings West in Tulsa. I remembered this guitar and I missed buying it because Manabu beat me to the phone. Larry Briggs sold him the guitar I would say more like fifteen years ago. I can dig that old price list out of the closet and find out for sure. The guitar was already stripped at this point so Manabu had a professional refinish done in Japan. It's a first class job and as he said the thin lacquer finish like the old Rickenbackers. Whoever gets this is getting a great guitar at a fair price. Just check out Dave's Guitar Shop in LaCrosse, Wisconsin for pictures on his web-site.
manabu

Post by manabu »

Larry, Thanks for your kind explanation. Since I forget my password, could not post message on this forum so that re-resistered my name again.
Yes, that guitar is the one which we competed to buy from String West. I was very happy to own it for passed 15years but was no chance to play it. so that finish still keeping clean as just refinished. It has all original parts and US$ 4,995 is very reasonable.
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

OK, anybody know the lucky person that bought this rare 325?
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

No.
This is off the record
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

I'm truly relieved to hear that this isn't the 325 we (me, Larry, and Fukuzawa-san) all know that's probably more Bondo than wood!

Some truly misguided folks have considered that particular one a kind of holy grail- I'd agree if they said "holey grail". I have no idea where that guitar is today since that owner has chosen to move one to other things.
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Amen. I know of a few 'black over Bondo' guitars and that's not cool. Glad to say I never had anything to do with those. Although I've had my sordid past(not my intention).
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

I know of a few too myself. Not cool.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Guys, I think it's all a small part of our learning experience.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

Earl Schieb will paint any guitar any color for $99.99 (bondo not included.)
This is off the record
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Funny you should say that Karl, as you had a awfully high opinion of the exact guitar I (and likely Larry) was referring to.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I plead naivety - Bondo?
" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Marc, think of smoothing a dent or crease in a car fender....or spackling a hole in drywall...
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Here I go all tech on John Simmons...but he's been known to toss a lecture or two out, himself, on Rick history!

Bondo is a mix of polyester resin and a filler in powdered form, which is mixed with a catalyst and then applied to a surface to fill imperfections.

The filler is usually magnesium silicate and the catalyst is methyl ethyl ketone peroxide (MEKP), which is itself mixed with a neutral filler and some dye into an intensely-colored paste. That way when the bondo (which is usually light gray in color) and the catalyst paste (blue, red, or green) are mixed, an even color with no swirls indicates a thorough mix.

Bondo is actually a brand name, which has passed into the generic like "kleenex" and "q-tip".

Bondo cures through chemical reaction; it doesn't air-dry. It's one of the many process and materials innovations to come from the War Effort of WWII.

Most folks who use this stuff think that the catalyst is what causes the cure, but in actuality, when polyester resin is blended, it is very unstable and will cure easily from combination with the oxygen present in the atmosphere. An inhibitor is blended into it to prevent this. The MEKP catalyst strips away the inhibitor, allowing the catalyzation to take place.

Bondo, fully cured, is pretty hard stuff. Usually it is rough-worked when in its "green" (partially-cured) state with a Surform or "cheese grater", and then fine-worked with sandpaper once it has fully hardened.

Don't use bondo as spackling compound. Spackling compound--for walls and to fill nail holes in woodwork prior to priming and painting--needs to be soft when dry so it sands at the same rate as the surrounding material. On plaster walls this is--plaster (surprise!) and on drywall walls it is the chipboard that is the drywall surface. Bondo is way too hard (and a bit pricey) to use as a spackling compound.

My favorite spackling compound (and I have done my own share of construction and remodels in my youth) is a compound of microballoons and vinyl alkyd resin that I call "whipped cream" because it looks and works like it. It sands very easily, air-dries (not catalyzes!) quickly and weighs next to nothing.

Bondo story:

About thirty years ago, when I was building the woodie wagons that my profile link leads to, in darkest Chicago, in mid-winter, in bitter cold, I employed a fresh-out-of-college young man to assist me in my shop work. He helped pack orders, trim wooden parts, and did general clean-up work. He drove a beat-up old '60s Buick Special that was rusted out roughly to mid-door from the salt that Chicago used on its streets in the winter to melt snow.

We'll call him "Joe", and one Friday he came to me and asked if he could bring his car into the shop to patch up some rust spots over the weekend. I said, "sure", and showed him where the bondo mixer was, replete with a fresh 5-gallon pail of the gooey stuff.

On Monday I arrived at my office and in making my shop rounds, noticed that he had done a nice job of cleaning up after himself--there was not a speck of Bondo dust to be found, despite the new 5-gallon pail of bondo being virtually empty. I soon found out why...at noon he came into my office and asked me to come out and look at his car. It was covered in bondo, from the sills to the middle of each door, and there were inexpertly-applied patches of bondo on the roof, hood, and rear deck, too.

I asked him what was wrong.

"This sh*t won't harden," was his reply.

How much catalyst did you use? I asked.

"Catalyst? What's that?" was his answer...
― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”