'66 325 for sale

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

marc61

Post by marc61 »

OK, so I take it there was an infamous 325 that had just a wee bit of bondo filling in some imperfections prior to a refin.
" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

What Paul said....Image
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

John, I find it odd that you connect me to certain people you might no longer get along with based off of what little you might know about myself and my interests. I can count on one hand how many emails I have had with the individual regarding mainly acquiring a few guitar parts. That's it! Never met the guy. Don't even know what his voice sounds like. It's been a couple of years now since.

I do however keep a heads up within the underground circle of knowledge pertaining to all things considered. In the process of keeping neutral, I have found some to be quite flakey while others are quite genuine.

Still, I believe any specimen, in any condition, in relation to those rare models is very important, even if the information is only worth a pack of strings.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

In my experience I have yet to find any non factory jetglo (any model) that wasn't hiding something.
britye
Intermediate Member

Post by britye »

Oh I like the smell of bondo. When I was a kid my buddy and I used to hang out at the local "bump" shop. Sweep floors and watch the body men do their magic. We both ended up being painter's helpers, then on to painters. If you can believe this I once forgot to add the catalyst to my acrylic enamel on one of my very first overall paint jobs. Realized after I spray out a cup from my DeVilbis suction feed gun. Oh well! The rest of the job was done correctly. Looked good when it left the shop and haven't seen it since. I guess no news was good news..
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

Karl, Dale restored a '66 3JG 25 for me last year that wasn't hiding any other than a band sanding job. (There was nothing hidden about the bad refin.)
This is off the record
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

Yeah Baby, and not only did the wood grain look good, but it is a great playing/sounding 325 and I believe it was originally a Factory Mapleglo now back to it's former glory.
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Oops, I meant "bad," sanding job. Bad typing job. Dale did the whole thing with supreme excellence though.
This is off the record
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Glenn, have you got any pictures to post? We like looking at Rickenbackers hereImage
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Glenn, I think someone a long time ago wanted the 'Lennon' look with your 325. Makes sense with the old black finish.

I have seen finished photos of your '66 325 after Dales job. Very cool guitar. Great work Dale.
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

This is off the record
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Thanks Glenn, that's a real beauty. I really like the darker fretboard on yours. Nice work Dale!
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

That was perhaps the most impressive part of the job. The fretboard was quite crummy pre-Dale, and is fantastic now.
This is off the record
britye
Intermediate Member

Post by britye »

Very nice
beefandbones
Intermediate Member

Post by beefandbones »

Oh it's fantastic! I'd been hoping that they'd keep the 1996 in production, but open the model up to other color options for 2007. I wanted one JUST LIKE THAT! You're a fortunate man, Glenn!

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”