Modify my 1983 320FG?

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

octagon

Modify my 1983 320FG?

Post by octagon »

UPS is bringing me this 320 tommorrow.I was just wondering if you guys had bought this guitar would you change the pickups to toasters and maybe the tailpiece to an Accent,or would you leave it as is?Also would it decrease the value to make these changes?Just curious.Thanks
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

These are simple, reversible changes. They should not affect the value either way. Keep the old stuff BTW.

And clip those strings. LOL
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thanks Paul!
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

The accent that's on my 1996 will not fit on either of my early 80s 320s without some sort of mod. Seems to me the 320 bodies aren't as deep, thus the Accent won't fit 'em correctly. I'd keep it stock.
This is off the record
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thanks Glenn!I had been wondering if the body shape of the 1980's 320's was different from modern and vintage 325's.I probably won't mod this one.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The '80s 320 is about 1/2" thinner (from memory) than early 325s.

I'm not sure if the Accents ever came in thicker and thinner versions...so Glenn may have a point. Probably has a point.

I think I'll have a pint.

I'd still replace the high-gains with toasters, which I finally did on my own '83. Just seems to look better...
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

A standard reissue Accent (circa 1992) fit fine on my '80 320. I know that there have been minor changes over the years (i.e. felt pads vs. rubber pads). For that matter, I think the mounting brackets for the R-tailpieces have changed over the years. So you might need to proceed carefully.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thanks guys.I'll probly leave it as is till,maybe I score 3 toasters for a good price.
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

I've nothing against toasters and Accents, but I played in a band with a guy who had one of these when they were standard issue 3/4 Ricks.

Those were cool days that were filled with cool bands and, dangit, these guitars were and still are cool as is! (Those needing proof look no father than the Romantics What I Like About You video. Or, for hi-gains as hip, just about any video by the Jam.) They don't need no toasters! Everything cool need not scream 60s.

My Hi-Gains Appreciation Class starts tomorrow morning, 9 a.m.
This is off the record
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thanks Glen,I will probably leave it stock because it really look sounds and plays perfect as it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/fuzztone65/320FG/oger015_edited.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/fuzztone65/320FG/oger016_edited.jpg
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Mitch, I'd leave that guitar alone! It's nearly twenty-five years old and it's vintage. Very cool it has the small headstock. Nice find!
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

The FG kinda reminds me of the "sunburst" of a competitor in those times. It is quite a bit different than earlier FGs, no? It's not red over pure maple only, huh?
This is off the record
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thanks guys,Im gonna leave it as is.The pickups really sound great.I was surprised at the condition it is in,it looks new in person and the finish has a lovely deep gloss that I can't capture with my old camera.I also like Rickenbackers from this time period as it has the box type Grover tuners which work great and the TRC says "Model 320".I also like the case as the body copartment has a"320"size depression in the velvet cushion that cradles the body securely.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/fuzztone65/320FG/oger028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/fuzztone65/320FG/oger019_edited.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/fuzztone65/320FG/oger018_edited.jpg
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Re: Modify my 1983 320FG?

Post by brianeharmonjr »

I think you should modify it's ownership by letting me have it. C'mon, it's better to give than to receive. :)
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Modify my 1983 320FG?

Post by sloop_john_b »

brianeharmonjr wrote:I think you should modify it's ownership by letting me have it. C'mon, it's better to give than to receive. :)
Mitch sold the guitar a while back. It's a beaut though, isn't it?

Didn't know you were into the shorties, Brian!

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”