Modifying my new 320

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rick_lover
Veteran RRF member

Modifying my new 320

Post by rick_lover »

Hi, I recieved a '91 320 JG this week and I have got a few questions:
I'd like to install a vibrato-tailpiece, but which one? Bigsby or Ac'cent? (I'll use it the 'Lennon'-way, i.e. not, just for look)
Will it fit into it's case anymore when having installed a vibrato?
Now the Pickups: A the moment it has Hi-Gains and I have already modified the 5th knob wireing. Installing Toasters and /or adding a HB in neck position? BTW, how do the HBs sound on a Rick?

Lot's of question and I hope to get some replies!

Here's the photo:

Flo

Post by 36012 »

I haven't yet heard the hb p/u,as for the tremelo I waould go with the accent for two reasons:It is correct for that model if you want the lennon look and if you want to sell it you will not have to worry about holes in the front of the body de-valuing(spelled wrong?) your guitar.I am always reluctant to drill holes in the face of ricks,but thats just me.You can install accents without re-drilling the strap holes.It works fine.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rick Lover: To me this guitar is screaming out for toasters. If you want the Lennon-look of his second guitar, then the Ac'cent is the way to go. The humbucker in the bridge would be whisper quite but you will notice that the other two pickups will sound noisy in comparison. The humbucker will not give you the jangle of the toaster.

Should you want the look of Lennon's first instrument just after it was sprayed black then the Bigsby would be the way to go. The Bigsby takes some getting used to compared to the clean lines of this 320. You would also need to add a gold guard and nameplate.

A third option would be to replace the "R" tailpiece with a trapeze and add a gold guard and nameplate. I confess, however, that the black and white contrasting features of this guitar are hard to beat.

I am partial to the trapeze tailpiece as it takes us back to the early days of Rickenbacker. Changing the tailpiece is not reversible without seeing drill holes. Going from the R to the trapeze, however, the bracket does cover up the old drill holes.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
milo
Veteran RRF member

Post by milo »

Peter,
Wouldn't it be possible to transfer the hole pattern from the "R" tailpiece to the lower bracket of the trapeze, and not have to drill the guitar? I realise that there would be a couple of unused holes in the tailpiece, but I believe that the mounting integrity of the trapeze would be fine and it would preserve the instrument.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Jeff, I think that was addressed in another thread, but I don't have time to do a search right now.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I did a search, and here is a relevant older thread:

../675/6124.html"#EECD9C">
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What kind of modifying did you do to the fifth control?
hamiltone

Post by hamiltone »

I've just modified my 1981 320 with the addition of a Bigsby B5. Ordered it from www.elderly.com and when it turned up yesterday, I took a big deep breath and......
It needs Toasters to complete the look as the Hi-gains just don't look right but they will have to wait until funds permit. Not restrung at the time of the photo. See what you think.

shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I for one thinks the guitar looks right with the Bigsby...and toasters.
roadrunners

Post by roadrunners »

wow, someday id like to get a 320 and modify it. its ashame they dont make them anymore
"This is my personal quote"
ratso

Post by ratso »

Karl, That is a gorgeous FG finish on that 320. You are a fortunate fellow. I think that is the best one I have ever seen.
hamiltone

Post by hamiltone »

Thanks Ron! This is how it looks now complete with Toasters, silver-on-black TRC, black two-tier pickguard, original knobs and Pyramid flats.

I'm never going to have an 'official' Rickenbacker signature guitar so I thought I'd create my own.

Enjoy!Image
rick_lover
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick_lover »

Now, nearly two years, after I opened this thread I want to tell you, that I finished the modifying on my guitar (actually since april).
I made a 320v64 out of it, with toasters, a trapeze tailpiece and vintage style knobs.
As I mentioned earlier, I rewired the fith knob as a volumecontrol for the middle pickup and I am quite satisfied with these modifications, although I mostly leave the middlepickup turned off.
As I am from Germany, I have no problems to get Pyramid flats 12s for my 320, but I still do not know whether to use a plain or wound third string. Waht are your comments?

Since about half a year this 320 has put my 330 Red BT on the second place of my favourite guitars.

Flo

PS: I will post a photo of my 320 tonight.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can hardly wait to see this photo Florian. If you are not playing lead with your 320 I would go with the wound G string. It is a much fuller sound and enriches the tonality, at least in my view. Should you be a string bender, then the plain G would be my choice.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rick_lover
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick_lover »

No, I am a straight rhythm player, so my choice with the wound string the last times was right.

Flo

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”