Question

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

shamustwin

Question

Post by shamustwin »

Pardon my lack of Rickenbacker knowledge, but just why were short scaled guitars issued? Where they intended to be used as "student" models, or was it common pactice at the time (late '50's?) to do so.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jerry: In extolling the virtues of the newly introduced Capri series in February 1958, Mr. F.C. Hall wrote
"Furthermore we have made this model with the three-quarter neck which many professionals feel is much easier to play than the standard conventional length neck. Also it easier for a student or a person with a small hand to play the new model as the fingering is closer together."
- From Bacon and Day (1994), Page 25.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I had a chance to play two (!) 325's at GC in the So. Bay and I really likes them. Even my big hands were able to negotiate the necks. I even tried out my leads, and they were do-able (not that they're difficult to begin with!). I'd like one someday. They are georgous.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The 325s are a nice guitar to play, but for me it took a while to get used to them. Old habits die hard. I confess to having been surprised, the first time I played one, how small they seemed after playing my 350.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

My only problem withe short scale is playing barre chords above the 7th fret or so: too little finger spacing even with my small hand/short fingers.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

The Ric that was purpose built as a student guitar in the late 50's was the model 1000. It was a budget type solidbody guitar, single pickup only, embossed foil type TRC, and 18 frets.

I wonder if it was a shorter scale than the 310-325's?

And you thought John Lennon was the first to use a Ric with a bowtie....
fabgear
Veteran RRF member

Post by fabgear »

I had one of these Glen, it indeed felt like it was a shorter scale. It had 18 frets like you said, and was tiny held up against my 6'3" frame. It was nice sounding, but felt like a toy.

Would have made a killer travel guitar but I got too much money for it from a shop in Japan so I sold it.
FabGear Custom Guitars, Relics and Replicas
Public Albums: www.photobucket.com username: fabgear, password: fabguest
tblair
Veteran RRF member

Post by tblair »

The 1000s were definately a shorter scale than the 310-325s. I believe the 900/950s were a bit smaller too.

I bought an old 310 a few years ago, and prior to selling it the seller contacted Rickenbacker to get more info on what he had. They told him it was a student model.

Odd that the short-scale was Ric's introductory model to proper hollowbodies. Seems like they would have started with the 365 and worked their way down- but the 360-375 series was introduced after the 310-325 & 330-345 series.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

"I had one of these Glen, it indeed felt like it was a shorter scale."

Fabgear: Are you talking about the guitar or the tie?

leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

The 900/950 necks are the same length as a 325 neck and have the same feel as the 60's 325's.
Great little guitars. VERY cool.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I also like the nameplates. A reissue model with these nameplates would be great.

fabgear
Veteran RRF member

Post by fabgear »

Peter,

Me in a tie??? HA~!

Has to be a special occasion and certainly not a bowtie(except for when I was best man at my friend's wedding, lol)

I had the 1000 all apart, mainly because I had to prove it's originality to the buyers and while they're low res, I still do have them if someone would like to see. The body was pinned with staples to hold it while the wings were glued on and the black was a very thin coat of what felt like Nitro. Certainly had a clubby neck too....
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Hey Peter, Don't mention those pressed foil nameplates to Jeff or he might get a little hot under the ummmm, bowtie ;)

I can say no more....
oreca
Intermediate Member

Post by oreca »

I really like the look of that one...

I wouldn't mind having one to play around with when I want something different.
fabgear
Veteran RRF member

Post by fabgear »

Haha Glen, very funny! ;P lol

I should've removed it off the 1000 and swapped them, but I needed the mint one on that to sell it.

I've still got that lil 450, although it's really not that bad since I removed the leftover spray on the nameplate(that airbrushed look).

Now it's just plain aluminum and looks pretty ok. Would have been nice to get another, but I'll do with the one I have.

It's not the nameplate that makes the guitar sound so cool after all.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”