Difference between a v63 and a c64?

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Difference between a v63 and a c64?

Post by brianeharmonjr »

What is the difference between a 325v63 and a 325c64? I'm considering purchasing a v63 and would like to know the difference. Also, is one more valuable than the other? And what would be a fair market price for either?
randyz
Advanced Member

Re: Difference between a v63 and a c64?

Post by randyz »

I'm sure somebody knows more about these guitars than I do. I haven't owned either, but I once borrowed a v63 for a few months, I've owned an '80 320 BG for years (modded to look like a v63), and I have one of the RM1996 AFG reissues. Basically, the v63 was a very good reissue of the 'Miami' guitar. I've seen some with oversized headstocks (like the one I borrowed), but others had the correct small headstock. They didn't come with roller bridges, but some people prefer the standard bridge because it has less tendency to rattle. Later the v63 became the John Lennon signature model. As far as I know, all of the JL signature guitars had the small headstock, but then you're left changing out the upper pickguard if you really want the correct Lennon look. I don't know how the internal bracing and/or the pick-up ohms might differ between the v63 and the c64. Perhaps someone else will chime in (pun intended). Here's a photo of my '80 320.
320 bg
320 bg
Scastles

Re: Difference between a v63 and a c64?

Post by Scastles »

In addition to what Randy stated, I think there is some difference in the bracing. Also, though I've never owned a V, the ohms on a V are 12k and the C series are 7.4., I think. The C was built to the exact specs of the '58 model 325. Availability will be a problem for either model.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”