What model 325 do I have?

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

collin

Re: What model 325 do I have?

Post by collin »

wj350 wrote:
You might try contacting Jeff at Fabgear--he's a super nice guy (and VERY talented artist), and if he worked on the guitar he'll most likely be able to give you the full 411.
Alrighty- well I just talked to Jeff

Paul wins this round!

It's an early 80s 320 that Jeff added the F-hole to. He swapped out the pickups and most of the parts from a 325v63 into a 320 body, added the f-hole and reliced some of the hardware.

Seems like there was some mis-representation in the ad (especially about the F-hole).

Do you guys think it is still worth it?

Cheers,
-Collin
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Considering that the three toasters are worth at least $300, it's still a good deal for what it is. If the f-hole had been original, it would have been nicer.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

This comment is not directed at Jeff's work, but if you were going to 'Lennonize' a 320 into a 325, why would you add an f-hole....?

Maybe it was an attempt to do an RM version at one point.....
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

To your question Collin...it is definitely worth it. Shorties are getting up there in price.
wj350
Advanced Member

Post by wj350 »

jingle_jangle wrote:To your question Collin...it is definitely worth it. Shorties are getting up there in price.
Agree. Even if the F hole isn't original, it's original to the series if you will, so I don't think it detracts. Don't get too hung up on the Lennon-spec thing--it's your guitar now!!

Conrats!!

Bill
collin

Post by collin »

wj350 wrote:
jingle_jangle wrote:To your question Collin...it is definitely worth it. Shorties are getting up there in price.
Don't get too hung up on the Lennon-spec thing--it's your guitar now!!
haha, no worries there. I'm not even a huge Beatles fan { Gasp!}....I mean I'm more into the later "post-rics" beatles era. anyways...I'm into the guitars, not trying to be the guy who once played them!

The JL setlist is coming off first!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the advice here- shorties are not familiar territory (yet!)

Cheers,
-Collin
fabgear
Veteran RRF member

Post by fabgear »

Hi there everyone,

I haven't been here for a long time, but someone mentioned this thread to me and thought I should comment so I had Peter reactivate my account. Let me see if I can comment on a few things regarding this guitar publically to help clear up some of the guesses and speculation. I've already discussed all this with Collin via email.

About 4 or so years ago, a friend of mine that lives in Chicago and is/ was in a number of Beatle tribute bands wanted me to do some work while I was in town visiting family and friends as I do at least once a year. While there, I modified 2 C58s (alder and jetglo) for his stage gear and some of the items I needed I modified previous to coming in town so I could just replace them. After I had done both of these, he had one more project he wanted me to do.

This WAS an early 80's 320. Sorry Paul but this one had Klusons stock, had the smaller 60's headstock, small fretboard dots, etc. I don't remember removing the tuners, but this was a while back. I also never reshaped the headstock.

To answer John's question about "why the f-hole" (it's cool John, I knew it wasn't a dig) and some others regarding whether it was stock or not; I added the F-hole, based on a template made from a '66 325 a friend of mine owned at the time (and had since sold). The original plan for the guitar was not to be a replica of Lennon's persay. It was to be a replica of the '66 my friend owned, not a Lennon replica at the time. The set list was only added later (I made the set list to match one of Lennon's originals on this 325 including the recreation of Mal's writing) when he used it as a backup for a short time for his regular v63 he used for the shows.

The guards were changed to a set I made based off Lennon's original (and therefore a mid 60's 325) and the rest of the hardware was transferred from another 325v63 my friend had around at the time. since this was done somewhat "last minute" while I was there (my friend decided to have me do this literally a few hours before I left for Chicago). I brought in what parts I thought I needed and this didn't leave time to order pickups, Ac'cent etc. I took what I needed off the v63 and he eventually ordered replacement parts or procured them and rebuilt his v63. I do not remember if I added a set of roller saddles or not, but my guess is that I did. Collin can probably verify or refute this when he gets the guitar.

As far as I know, this guitar was sold by my friend and purchased by a BGC member. That person then offered it for sale about a year or so ago (maybe less, I would have to look for the ad) and I was very tempted to purchase it at the time but didn't have the funds. Another board member did purchase it, and that is the peron I believe has sold it now to Collin. I was shown the Ebay ad while it was up and saw my name mentioned etc and I did email the seller at the time to try to correct and inform the person, but my email was not replied to and the auction was not changed.

In either event, as I told Collin, I think the price he paid for it was a fair one and that the guitar would be worth that money. It's cheap, IMO, for a modded Ric with that hardware configuration and from what I remember that guitar played very nicely.

I hope Collin enjoys it when he gets it from the seller.

I have my own 325 project I'm trying to complete, but lack of funds has me in a holding pattern for now. I had to sell one similar to it a while back (ironically, my old replica resurfaced recently but the buyback was botched up and it ended up with someone I know. I was offered it back for the price they paid, but I had other things come up I needed my money for).

Hope this helps,
Jeff
FabGear
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome back, Jeff, and thanks for the clarification!
fabgear wrote:... my email was not replied to and the auction was not changed ...
That happens most of the time when I try to inform a seller of "the facts"! :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
collin

Post by collin »

Awesome, thanks Jeff- nice to see you 'round here! ;)

I will indeed check on the roller bridges when I get it---for now I'm just watching that ever-slow UPS tracking number!

Cheers,
-Collin
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Jeff, it makes perfect sense about the f-hole now...I know the '66 you refer as a basis for your re-creation, and yours is pretty well a spot-on job. I can remember when the '66 was for sale for about $5500, I shoulda bought it.....shoulda/coulda/woulda... :lol:

Glad to see you post here again man.....you have many good neighbors here. :wink:
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Soundholes were certainly not "long gone" by 1981. I have many photo's of 320's with soundholes in all the major finishes from as late as 1986 among my 325 connection files. As has been correctly pointed out, in the 80's soundhole and non soundhole models were being made concurrently. It's not possible to say which was more prominent, but there are examples of both to be found. The B series appeared by that period as well, and as has been pointed out, the V series in '84. However, 320's continued as a standard production guitar all the way till about 1991 according to a reliable source (Bobkat). You won't find many with soundholes after '84 though.
wj350
Advanced Member

Post by wj350 »

Hey Jeff, nice to see you over here.

Cheers, Bill

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”